Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can anyone recommend a decent Light Pollution Filter?

Can anyone recommend a decent Light Pollution Filter?

I have a CPC 925.

I want something that will help with the imaging/viewing of nebulas and galaxies.

As with most things in astronomy world it will probably come down to cost. I don't really have that much to spend on one at the moment, so it would be good if I could get different options split by price range :-)

Cheers

Chris

I've tried two for imaging: the Astronomik CLS and the Hutech IDAS. They both make a big difference. But, I found the CLS too harsh. It blocks a whole chunk of yellow and orange and left a strong colour cast on my images. I found this difficult to process out and could not restore star colours properly.

The IDAS is supposed to take out a few specific troublesome bands. It is not so 'strong', but leaves me with a well balanced image. But, I'm lucky that my sky isn't too bad, even though I live on the edge of a town.

For observing, I did not find that either filter helped at all.

Can't comment on visual use the the Hutech IDAS LP filter is fantastic for imaging as it is very selective and doesn't impart any colour cast that I can detect. Sadly it is not a low cost option but it really does work.

well i image i have a couple includeing a clip in one for the 10d ,i have a 2"sky watcher and the baader lpf they both do the same job, also got a 2" neodymium wjich is great for planets do you not no any one local who could loan ya a few one night?

the lpf filters do cut star light down as well 0III FILTERS THE ONE I HAVE IS VERY AGRESSIVE ,but the 12" dob loves it

choose wisely unless the vendor will take it back

cheers pat

I have a 2" Skywatcher which seems to work at the loss of some light grasp. I think it depends on the sort of light pollution you have - I think the Skywatcher is intended to cut down the orange glow from sodium street lighting. I never use it for the moon or planets because they are bright enough not to be affected too much by light pollution.

Brinders

Steve is correct in that a dark sky will out perform any filter and unfortunately, as good as some of these filters are, there doesn't exist a magic bullet for light pollution.

However, for me I went for the Baader Neodymium (1.25"/£35 or 2"/£45) as it has a 95% light transmission, optimised to enhance surface details on moon and planets and more practically, the hardened coating allows you to clean it without any possible damage. Yes, certainly not the cheapest but like a lot of astro gear you'll need to decide whether the difference is worth paying for. I personally detect a difference but whether this product is better than the skywatcher version I don't have the answer. The best thing would be to borrow one to see for yourself if that's possible.

Not to hijack your thread but I wonder what difference the new LED lighting will make and will there be any filters to block it out?

Clear skies

James

For imaging the IDAS is my favourite filter.. I have IDAS , CLS-CCD, Lumicon and Orion filters and the IDAS is the most color neutral...

Don't go looking at the spectrum of White LED lighting you will just get depressed... lets hope they can control the directionality and up scatter fromthe ground...

Archived