Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Buying a second hand EQ mount

Quite a few second hand EQ mounts appear regularly on EBay etc, but never having owned or used one I would be a bit in the dark (excuse the pun) if I went to view one - are there any obvious things you should look out for/check, when considering buying one second hand?

What I do is firstly check both axes through 360 degrees to make sure they turn freely with no sudden stops or jams. Make sure the slo mo controls work with the clutches tightened. Check the legs slide out and lock easilly. Make sure the spreader locks the legs open ok. Make sure the alt/az adjustment bolts aren't bent/broken and screw in/out easily. Look through the polar scope if it has one. Ensure the AZ stop against wich the AZ bolts push isn't broken.

If it's motorised or goto check the engagement mechanism. Power up and make sure the arrows move the head in all directions. I usually dial in M101 which is usually upwards all year (ensure you know where South is with a compass) so you know roughly where it's pointing. Make sure it starts and stops both axes with no "scrunching" sounds.

Then general check for wear and tear consistent with age and stated condition - paint scratches/chips, overall appearance etc. Hope that helps :BangHead:

(oh make sure all the bits are included: manual, bolts, knobs, maybe a mounting plate or dovetail if stated, spreader etc)

Depending on the mount some of this might not apply.

If it has one, look through the polarscope and check the reticule isn't cracked. Check the polarscope illuminator comes on.

Check the version of hand controller and motor software if it has one. SW V3 handsets can be upgraded, V2 can't.

Make sure it comes with the handset holder and the handset to PC cable.

it's worth checking for any backlash in the gearing as well. Just lock the clutches and manually flex each drive in both directions, ideally you won't feel or see any free movement but there is normally a small amount in them

Excellent advice from all of the above.

I would add that if you buy from an SGL member, you are likely to get an honest report up front. Especially if you ask. My experience has been that some members will jump at the opportunity to tell you if there something minor like one paint chip and a bit of mud on a tripod foot.

If you from 'the bay' things are often very different. You only need look at the strange words in the descriptions and the pictures of downward pointing tubes, equator set EQ mounts, etc to realise a lot of the sellers are just moving something on and won't be able to answer your questions even if they wanted to.

Archived