NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Baader fine tuning rings

Hello everyone. I'm wanting to purchase a baader Hyperion 21 or 24mm , I seem to remember reading somewhere that the 24mm eyepiece can't be used with fine tuning rings, am I correct in this line of thinking or am I mistaken? I can't find any evidence of his on line. Could anyone clarify. Coz I think I'm losing it, you know just imaging stuff.

Clear skies, once the peasant cloud gets ou of he way

the 24mm can not be used with fine tuning rings as the bottom barrel contains no smythe lens, all others contain a smythe in the bottom barrel and the fine tuning rings add distance between the main lens set and the smythe making the focal length lower

I think that's true - the FTRs work by moving the lenses in the bottom sections further from the body elements to increase magnification. The 24mm doesn't have lenses in the bottom section so the FTRs do nothing on it.

Too slow! :BangHead:

Hi and thanks for the speedy replies, one other question. Whilst a

I am leaning towards the 21mm now with the fine tuning rings, would I be better served saving and waiting to get the Hyperion zoom lens? I've heard it referred to as the grenade, is it really that big n heavy?

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease.

Dark skies one n all

Dave, my advise is to get a zoom lens. i read several reviews between Celestron, Meade and Baader zoom lens. Celestron scored 3 rd in the top-4 elements and cheaper; now, there's was a small difference between Meade and Baader: some ppl said M performed well, some said B did best...bottom line, they all said no major visible differences between M and B, but a visible $ difference ! you decide !

clear skies

I have the Hyperion zoom and am very happy with it: I use it for deep-sky viewing, where raising the magnification serves as a way of bringing small faint galaxies into view that would otherwise be hard to find using fixed focal-length eyepieces.

But on bright targets (e.g. planets) I do notice more internal reflections on the zoom than on my TeleVue plossls, and if my aim were to view planets then I'd use the plossls. Also, the zoom is indeed quite substantial, and although it might arguably replace a whole set of plossls, it would weigh more than all those EPs combined.

As a further point, anyone used to wide-field eyepieces is apt to feel squeezed by the zoom's field at low power.

None of these considerations detract from my use of the zoom in the particular kind of deep-sky work I do, but could be significant for observers with different priorities.

Incidentally, the zoom has a Piazzi-Smyth lens as its lowest element but I don't recall seeing anything in the documentation to say it's removable, though I think it's unscrewable, and apparently some users have interchanged nosepieces from other Hyperions so as to convert the zoom to different focal-length ranges.

Archived