Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

No backplate?help!

hey all, just got my new skywatcher skyliner 150p dobsonian built up last night and was looking at it this morning, noticed that there was no backplate on the scope so i have come to ask is it supposed to be like that and if not I shal call for a replacement of FLO. Also will it affect my scope? Picture below.What is the exact piece name and is there supposed to be more than a back plate?ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

I had a 150P on eq3-2 which did have a back plate - but I'm not sure if the dob version is supposed to have one or not. Best get in touch with FLO and check it out with them if that's where you got it - they'll make good if anythings missing :BangHead:

If anything the absence of a backplate will allow it to cool quicker to ambient temperature and you'll get more use out of a session with it. But it's only gong to be 10 or so mins, not hours - so a minor point really.

So long as the primary mirror is there held in place properly then the views won't be affected - the backplate is none functional - more for protection than anything - none of the big dobs have them :BangHead:

does that mean mine shouldnt have a backplate? and thanks for the advise made me feel much better. can I only get 10 mins out of it with no backplate?. Should I call flo for a replacement if they are supposed to have one on.also forgot to mention is it just a metal plate nothing inside?

Sorry I read that back and realised it could be misleading - I simply meant ten mins extra on top of the whole session lol - you can keep going all night with it once cooled down.

Yes call FLO just to check if it should have one. Mine was an older model so the newer ones might have changed - but they'll confirm that for you :BangHead:

There isn't a backplate on these so no need to worry :BangHead: As Kim points out not having one will actually help the mirror cool just a little quicker.

Some models have a backplate which is largely unnecessary and is made from a card like material.

James

I shouldn't worry too much I think mine looks exactly the same I remember thinking it was a bit strange, but then again I have nothing to compare it too, but it works perfectly had it out again last night good luck with your new scope :BangHead:

Hey john was wondering as you have the same scope as me does yours not have a backplate too? Compare to the picture I included at the top ;). And thankyou managed to get the moon in view last night despite the huge amount of cloud around but only for a few minutes and even through my bedroom window looking through double glazing still blew me away :BangHead:. cant wait untill it is finaly clear.

Archived