Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pier Head Wiring

laser_jock99

I'm buying in the cabling for my pier head to warm room as this must be fitted prior to laying the obsy floor boards (cables will run up the centre of the steel column). So far I have:

3 x 10m USB (boosted) leads

1 x 10m ethernet lead

1 x 240v mains lead (to 8 way plug board)

Can anyone think of other cables I should be fitting at this stage?

I would run a pair of 2.5mm sq flexible wires for low voltage (12V) circuits.

This saves the bother of 240V to 12V supplies for anti-dew, motor drive ,etc.

By going to a heavy gauge, you won't have problems with voltage drop from warm room to pier.

If you have space, include a couple of pieces of strong nylon cord. These can be used to pull through cables for anything you have yet to think of.

My pier has 12V & 240V feeds and both get used. I also have RS232 to link the AWR handset to the computer.

The wiring was run in plastic sink drain pipes. Both pipes and fittings are cheap. The large size means you can thread through USB plugs and the like. You can easily take them apart if necessary to fit extra wires.

I tried to think about what scope control I might want in the future, rather than cables for a current or specific configuration. Still ended up adding cables though!

Hope this helps. David.

Yes, I agree, always plan for the future. Large piping and strong cord to pull extra cables through. You're bound to have forgotten something or want to add something in the future.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. The only additional wire I could add after thinking about it is an ethernet to PC serial port adapter cable for controlling the EQ6 mount via a PC like this one:

RVO 10m PC Cable For Skywatcher Telescopes on eBay (end time 25-Jul-11 11:05:40 BST)

I think the idea of a few pulling wires might be usefull too, I'm going to make the floor easily removeable (screwed not nailed) just in case.

Anyone had problems with mice nibbling wires- I don't know whether to run the cables through a conduit or just clip them to the timber frame?

Thanks for the ideas everyone. The only additional wire I could add after thinking about it is an ethernet to PC serial port adapter cable for controlling the EQ6 mount via a PC like this one:

RVO 10m PC Cable For Skywatcher Telescopes on eBay (end time 25-Jul-11 11:05:40 BST)

This is just a serial cable; not an Ethernet-to-serial or USB-to-serial adaptor cable.

Anyone had problems with mice nibbling wires- I don't know whether to run the cables through a conduit or just clip them to the timber frame?
Yes, I have. Well something did! I found my rain gauge cable nibbled through. I would definitely recommend a conduit.

..Make sure you use the proper size conduit.

..In theory all wires should done in a single pull. "Fish Tapes" will make this job easier.

..Use lubrication on the pull. There are lubes formulated for this purpose, DO NOT use any petrolium based products as they will damage the wire coatings. Some people use liquid soaps.

..Natural fiber lines, over time, may deteriorate. Use one of the newer synthetic fiber fishing lines for future pulls.

..Did I mention, use the proper size conduit?

Have fun, Good luck.

Bill

Archived