Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sticky Telrad Circles

you could draw them on with a compass using the telrad circles on stellarium as your guide. From memory its Crtl+B to toggle them on and off. You would only need to use stellarium to get your scale right then the circles would be the same diameter right through the atlas. Actually im going to try this on my tri-atlas

If you use Cartes du Ceil (freeware) you can place as many, or as few, as you like onto your chosen map and then print them out. I often do this as you can then scribble notes on the map as well. If you save each map then reprinting is easy.

I agree with Bizibilder, CdC allows you to superimpose telrad circles onto the map of the sky, very useful. You can then use the screen or print them out for outdoor use, if there weren't any clouds around.... Sorry, I'm trying not to be negative, but, wow, those clouds dont seem to take a break at the moment!..........

I got a piece of clear A5 film and with a permanent marker carefully traced the Telrad circles that are to scale at the front of the Sky Atlas. Then you can just place it anywhere on any page to help with star hopping, it works a treat. :)

A few years ago I was given a wall calendar that was actually a magnetic dart board.I used the cover of that which had the ferrous material in it,and used cut up refrigerator magnets in the corners to hold it beneath the page I was using.I made the telrad from clear film and glued small pieces of refrigerator magnets to the corners. Place the telrad anywhere on the sheet and it will stick there.

I emailed Sky and Telescope to see if they made them - this ws their reply:

We do indeed include a plastic sheet with Telrad circles and other measuring scales with Sky Atlas 2000.0, our high-priced atlas. But including such a sheet with each copy of the Pocket Sky Atlas would probably require a price hike, which would be unfortunate.

Selling one as an add-on isn't a bad idea. In the meantime, it's easy to make your own by tracing the circle on the cover onto a clear sheet with a magic marker.

Archived