SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to look for in the southern hemisphere??

Well I've never been to the Southern Hemisphere, but I've spent enough time salivating over pictures of objects that I can't see from Britain.

How about 47 Tucanae, Omega Centauri (both globular clusters), the Jewel Box cluster (an open cluster) the Eta Carinae Nebula or the Magellanic Clouds (there are two).

Or simply take in the spectacle of the centre of our Milky Way galaxy high in the sky rather than skirting the horizon has it does here.

Tim

I'm not a southern hemisphere observer but I'm aware that many recommend a (rather old) book by E. J. Hartung, "Astronomical Objects For Southern Telescopes".

There are numerous southern deep-sky lists, e.g. the one compiled by Jack Bennett. Many of the most prominent objects were discovered by Lacaille (in the 18th century) and Dunlop (in the 19th), hence there are lists named after them.

The Jack Bennett Catalog

Lacaille and his catalog of clusters and nebulae

Dunlop 100

Southern Sky Binocular Club - List | The Astronomical League

Southern Sky Telescopic Club - The List | The Astronomical League

http://www.docdb.net/tutorials/top_100_deep_sky_south.php

I'm quite lucky and often sail down to the southern oceans.

My favourite part of the sky is around the lower part of Scorpius/Sagittarius boarders. Awesome sight for DSO and nebula

even for binoculars.

Grux is another action packed part of the sky, for Eta Carina, Coal sack, Southern Pleiedes. As mentioned, you cannot mistake the two Magellanic Clouds, even Tucana 47 is naked eye.

Loose yourself in the milkyway, and hundreds of open clusters that it holds.

I'm down there again in September, 15x70 binos and sky charts at the ready.

Eddie

just in case you don't have it yet

http://www.stellarium.org/

great for helping you to see whats avialable to observe or image from your location

Thanks....great app...will put 47 Tuc near the top of my list, just under Pleades (or matariki in maori)....shame I cannot get to see Orions belt as I really want to have a look at the horsehead nebula...

Thanks....great app...will put 47 Tuc near the top of my list, just under Pleades (or matariki in maori)....shame I cannot get to see Orions belt as I really want to have a look at the horsehead nebula...

you can grab Orion in the summer, high in the Northern sky.

Hi SouthernRider from across the ditch. :)

Lots to see in the Southern Hemisphere, and the guys have mentioned some of the main objects.

Omega Centauri will blow you away, I am always in awe looking at it through the eyepiece!!! :) 47 Tuc isnt too far behind, magnificent also.

Eta Carinae nebula is amazing, and lots of delights throughout Carina.

Centaurus A is a brilliant galaxy - big hamburger look to it.

Have you a a scooe or using binoculars?

Stellarium is a must, and is is free.

Orion is up in the morning now, so you can check out its main attractions. M42 (the sword) is a stunner. Horsehead nebula is tricky to see, and I have never seen it. Need good (big) scope, perfect conditions, and placed higher in the sky.

Good luck. :(

• 2 weeks later...

What's your aperture? There's so much to see to the South in the Southeren Hemisphere...particularly at this time of year.

I use SkyMap Pro on my Iphone.....it makes short work of showing you whats up and where to look.

Of course, you could just use a plain old planisphere...which I use as well....there's lots to see!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived