Knowing When The Sky Will Be Dark?

And don't say 'at night'! lol

Is there a planner etc where I can tell when the moon won't be interfering with the dark skies etc?

I tried observing last night but the full moon was really lighting up the sky, after a while I could read my printouts with DSO info without a torch.

Could still just make out M57 as a ring using overted vision, and still couldn't see M81, M82 :)

Skiddins

This download is quick, free and will give you a continual rolling insolation chart for the whole year along with lots of other interesting stuff. Just configure your location into the database and click on the "insolation" tab. I enjoy watching the sun shadow drifting across the Earth in real time - so you see where dark is across the whole world. :)

Sky View Cafe - Astronomy - Star Charts and Ephemeris

This download is quick, free and will give you a continual rolling insolation chart for the whole year along with lots of other interesting stuff. Just configure your location into the database and click on the "insolation" tab. I enjoy watching the sun shadow drifting across the Earth in real time - so you see where dark is across the whole world. :)

Sky View Cafe - Astronomy - Star Charts and Ephemeris

Cheers very useful :(:)

Wow! Doesn't June look depressing!!

Only in Britain. The closer you get to the equator, the less variation there is in day/night time. So for example in southern Spain there are still many hours of darkness during June and July. Though on balance the length of winter nights is shorter.

Minimum of about four hours here at Lat 44.

I use SkyMap Pro which generates a lunar ephemeris very quickly. I need it for advising on bookings etc. I suspect Stellarium will do the same, no? I imagine all the software planetaria give this information.

Olly

Minimum of about four hours here at Lat 44.

I use SkyMap Pro which generates a lunar ephemeris very quickly. I need it for advising on bookings etc. I suspect Stellarium will do the same, no? I imagine all the software planetaria give this information.

Olly

Yes, it's quite startling how the length of the night varies with just small changes in latitude. Especially astronomical "night"

Times for 30-June, in Universal Time

.......Twilight

Lat. Start End

70, 00:04, 00:04

65, 00:04, 00:04

60, 00:04, 00:04

55, 00:04, 00:04

54, 00:04, 00:04

53, 00:04, 00:04

52, 00:04, 00:04

51, 00:54, 23:13

50, 01:18, 22:50

45, 02:21, 21:46

40, 02:57, 21:10

35, 03:23, 20:44

30, 03:44, 20:23

25, 04:01, 20:06

20, 04:15, 19:52

15, 04:28, 19:39

10, 04:39, 19:28

5, 04:49, 19:18

0, 04:58, 19:09

Just a few degrees from your latitude (approx. 45 in the table) to lat 51° on the South Coast adds an extra hour in the evening and another one in the morning.

Archived