Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First light on Skywatcher200 HEQ5

Kermit

Hi All - complete newbie here - just got scope, just joined SGL.

After a few miserably cloudy nights got my first chance to use the scope on Thursday.

Based on pointing the scope skywards and moving it around till I found something & then rushing inside to consult various magazines / books etc I was blessed with a fantastic view of Saturn, excellent in the 25mm but not so much so in the 10mm - guess this will come with practise.

Have had recommendations from SPA (found them 1st) but would welcome peoples comments on a beginners top 10 1st views (some basic instructions on finding wouldn't go amiss either!). Intend to set up polar alignment & motors over next 48 hrs - that's if we don't get the snow they're forecasting.

PS have done so before 0 but would just like to thank Steve @FLO once again for such excellent service - especially the after sales question answering, good service is always the best way to keep em coming back!

I have the same 'scope and the same "issues" with the 10mm Plossl eyepiece. I've never been able to look through it without thinking that I've done something wrong. Haven't used it in many months. Not that I do the visual stuff anyway, but it struck me as being "somewhat lacking" compared to the 25mm one.

Captain Chaos

Hi Kermit, yes shes a real beauty, I have the same set up, one thing id certainly get if you didnt get one is a moon filter for your eyepieces, the moon in the 200 is really bright, steve sells them.

If you dont have any star programme software just yet download a copy of the Cartes du ciel at http://www.stargazing.net/astropc/ it will give you a rough idea of whats around, and its free :) I would recommend Starry night pro mind you, its a real good un for any telescope.

One thing i did find really useful is to keep the polystyrene protective mounts that the scope was shipped with, when mine is not in use i lay it on the floor on two of the poly protectors, one it keeps it off the floor and the other is that it stops my boy sending mine flying in the garage when he parks his bike up. Also, as much as the eyepieces that came with the scope are fine to say the least, I did find the scope performed better when i used my meade eyepieces.

I have also got the sky-watcher 200 on the dob mount and although I have only been able to use it twice due to night after night of cloudy weather I found the 10mm eye piece to be good. Having said that I have not used any other scopes to make any comparison.

Archived