Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DSLR chip to flange distance

pilkinn

Does anyone know the distance between the chip and the front mounting flange on a DSLR? I have a flattener with an adapter that creates the ideal spacing for a DSLR but I want to use it with a QHY8 so need to match the spacing.

Thanks. Neil.

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. So when the blurb on the flattener says the included adapter provides the ideal spacing for a DSLR it depend on which DSLR it means. I'll have to do a bit more experimenting than I figured.

Chances are it would be designed around 55mm spacing - if it had a t-thread on the back... The t- mount lenses were designed to be used on a whole range of SLR camera bodies so had a longish "register" this meant that it was easy to build T ring adaptors to mount the lenses. The thickness of the trings depending on the register of the specific camera manufacturers mount.

Peter...

The flattener I've got (the WO TMB for FLT) seems to need a much larger spacing. I've tried to look around for a diagram. I couldn't find it on the WO site - until just now - the link was staring me in the face all the time!.

TMBflattener_ChiptoLens.jpg

From the looks of it, you might struggle with say a Canon DSLR as you'd need a very small spacer to achieve the optimum spacing - although it depends on how thick the T mount adapter is. Luckily my QHY8 already has a T thread and with a 20mm deep chip distance I think I just need to add 35mm of spacers (113.13 - 58.14 - 20.0 = 34.99) ?

I'm going to keep hold of that link with the list of registers as I do have a DSLR and so it may just come in handy. Thanks again.

It's all a bit tricky this spacing lark!

• 2 months later...

How critical is the spacing from flatteners? I have a Tak FS60C and now the flattener for it. As I already have other T to EOS adapters I didn't want to have to fork out for the dedicated Tak one so instead I've used spacers but I am out by around 1mm. So how much of a difference am I likely to observe?

Archived