Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I need some help/advises

hey guys ! i am proudly owner of a new toy; saturday i spent couples hours to set it with the book in my hand. at night, i took a big plounge and i used for the 1st time in my life my telescope. sweating like crazy, driven by an misterious feeling...but i skipped the alignament steps and went directly to see the moon (i skipped that part form the book :D. OMG !!!! the moon was incredible( even with my 60x eyepiece). at certain point i was fighting with my wife over the eyepiece b/c she was hooked on the moon ! imagine that ?! i manage to have the same image in the finderscope as on the telescope it self.

Here comes the part were i have questions:

-as i understand for the book, i only need to do one time, the first time, a ploar alignament, right? b/c the nice people from Celestron already placed the right altitude on my scope;

-second: i had the moon on my eyepiece, i used the focus knobs to have a clear image, but...when i put the barlow...a withe fuzzy haze! here i need the most help possible ! i did the same operation 3 times, every time i was carefull to roll up and down the focus knobs ...still the same white fuzzy haze. i checked the barlow for any cracks or plastic labels on top of the glass. no visible damage....

What could be wrong?

thank you

1. You will need to polar align the mount every time you set it up. If you move or take down the mount the alignment will be lost.

2. From your sig you have a 5x barlow. This barlow may have too much magnification with your eyepiece or you do not have sufficient focus travel to bring the image in to focus with a 5x barlow.

Peter

Cornelius,

the whole thing has 2 parts: one is the mount, wich has 2 opposite knobs that lock down the mount at a 45 dgr angle (according to my position) and the tube. so, i assume that the mount will always be at the same latitude...that's why i have this incertitude.

2nd point: is a possible anwser to my issue.

also, i realised another issue; if i keep the mount facing Polaris, what do i need to do to see an object on the south side? b/c the tube doesnt slew enough to reach that side? can i turn the whole kit facing south? even if my mount doesnt face anymore Polaris?

It depends on the type of stargazing session you want. If you are doing astrophotography, for example, alignment is absolutely necessary. However, if you're just 'surfing' objects then (in my experience) you just set up and go.

I think the barlow may be too powerful, like Cornelius said. That type of barlow is normally used in large scopes, as far as i'm aware.

also, i realised another issue; if i keep the mount facing Polaris, what do i need to do to see an object on the south side? b/c the tube doesnt slew enough to reach that side? can i turn the whole kit facing south? even if my mount doesnt face anymore Polaris?

Take a look at this Equatorial mount tutorial. It shows how to slew an equatorial mount to any part of the sky.

You need to polar align the mount everytime you reassemble it.

Peter

guys, i see the light now !! :D) it makes sense what you both saying. i believe that my barlow is too much for my 10''. i will exchange it for a 3x, that should be enough, right?

When you have set up your tripod and mount correctly ( mount level, the N leg facing north and the mount, correct latitude ) it's a good idea to mark the spot you use . I used a black marker pen and circled each tripod leg on the concrete patio so that as long as the legs sit within the marks i know everything is in the right place. Obviously using a compass and spirit level.

Archived