Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SPC900 LXmod yesyes style ;-)

yesyes

• Replies 768
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh and I've tried it both on and off to make sure :/

Double checked the wiring etc ...... ok checked it about a dozen times and cant see anything wrong with it but I might have to check it again now that I've not looked at it for a day or two.

OK,

Here's the drawing I made up late lastnight with my brilliant MS paint abilities :D

I was tired when I made this up but I'm sure it's what I have.

LXboard.jpg

The only other thing I can think on is if I have the Diodes in back to front but I don't think I have. Cathodes on the 2N4148s towards the resistors and the Zener cathode towards the wire that comes from Q3 (cathodes if I remember rightly are the ends with the stripes on them and on the drawing they are the tops of the triangles with the lines across them?

lastly these are the parts I used picked up from various threads about the mod.

M10K Min Res 10k

FH04E Sub-Min Toggle E

AY71N 1N5349 BRL

QB73Q BC548B

QL80B 1N4148

Again thanks in advance and sorry for the MS paint :)

Davie, this does look alright to me as far as I can see from your drawing. I assume there really is no connection between the 2 serial pins on the top of your drawing?

Also, how did you connect the switch? I don't see any wires going to pin and base 7 on the webcam. Did you wire that switch directly on the webcam across pin and base 7 and then run one wire from base 7 to the "To Switch" connection in your drawing?

If that is all correct, then the only things left to check is the polarity of the diodes (cathode is the side with the ring on the diode and the separate line touching the corner of the triangle. So the serial port lines coming from the adapter are connected to the anodes) and the polarity of the transistors.

A while back I made my own diagram of the vero board I was using. It's about 1/3 down on this page:

yesyes DIY and astro :: Modding an SPC880/900 webcam for long exposure

There you should be able to see the correct polarity of the transistors.

If that still doesn't fix it, could you post a photo of the front and back of your board?

Yes sorry I did say it was late :) there is no connection between the pins.

As for pad and pin 7 yes the drawing is wrong ... Ive pin 7 going to the switch and pad 7 going to the board through a 10k resistor and then onto the switch on the same lug as the 5v wire.

Sorry about the quality of my pictures and soldering :) going away tomorrow so rushing around do the last 101 things before i go.

top-1.jpg

underside-1.jpg

Thanks again :D

I didn't see those - they definitely look suspicious. I go along the gaps on mine with a sharp point to make sure there are no solder bridges. I also photograph/magnify to take a really close look. This also can show up suspect joints which could be dry.

Thanks for pointing them out i never saw them.

Sitting in an airport at the minute but doesnt look like we are going anywhere so might get a look later on today!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I feel like I've hijacked the thread as I've just looked back over the last couple of pages :)

Chris yes the pins are cut and I've checked to make sure the circuit opens and closes with the switch.

The tracks on the stripboard were clear and I gave them a scrape to make sure.

I'm on a XP machine at the minute to try to see if thatmakes a difference over the usual Win7one but no change.

Sorry for asking a noob question:

How much of a difference does the LX mod make?

I tried long exp shoots w/o LX mod but only got stars, no M42...

Tried 30s 60s, 600s.

No difference.

Just realised I can't afford a proper cam and would like to give it a go...

the longest exposure you can do on a non modded SPC900 or spc880 webcam is 1/10th of a second, or 100milliseconds, compared to the exposure length of 10 seconds on a modded spc webcam, so, divide 10seconds by 100milliseconds to tell you how much more awesome a modded webcam is over a non-modded one :)

IT's 100x more awesome!!

Archived