Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1st DSO Attempts

Last night I took some photos using DSLR and managed to get some images that I am reasonably happy with. I really would welcome all comments and help to improve on these. They are all single sub photos of 1 min exposures tweaked in registax. I tried combining up to 5 subs on the Ring Nebula using Registax but after Aligning the stars were more trailing than the single subs, why is this? Are there any tutorials for stacking images?

Also the stars towards the edge of the photos look more out of focus, is this Coma?

I am most definately hooked, the buzz seeing the first image was amazing!

Grateful for any help and advice.

Thanks

Stuart

post-24534-133877628709_thumb.jpg

post-24534-133877628714_thumb.jpg

post-24534-13387762872_thumb.jpg

hi there... great first attempts.. I can't comment on how to improve as I am very much a beginner myself.

However... I do use deepsky stacker to stack my subs not Registax (also free ;)). Then save the 'stack' as a tif file then play about with it in photoshop to bring out any more detail in the image. I am terrible at this by the way lol ;), as you can see if you check out my thread in the Imaging - discussion forum for my pics of M57 and M13.:)

it's a really addictive hobby huh!! look forward to seeing your next attempts :(

Again no expert but great first images. I remember when it felt like actually seeing your first captured DSO.

I also use Deep sky stacker for DSO's and it works well. Obviously the more subs you get and stack the more you will capture. Start with nice bright easy targets. Might I suggest M51? Good to capture and easy to find (you'll also get the supernova in it!)

Cheers

Jamie

Drumsolo

Not bad for your first attempt.

I also had an attempt at DSO imagery on Saturday night and found that Registax is no good for this type of stacking but Deep Sky Stacker as mentioned was far better. I am no expert at it and just fumbled my way through accepting default settings etc. After saving the TIFF images I used photoshop to enhance them and was quite pleased with the results. Registax is great for moon AVIs but could not handle DSO work.

Think to get better images I need more exposures and better seeing conditions but I am hooked and cant wait to get more time at it

Neil

post-25092-133877628949_thumb.jpg

post-25092-133877628957_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil

Hope you dont mind but had a tweak of your M51. When using DSS make sure you adjust the RGB levels so they are all together in one peak and up the saturation a bit. You have some nice detail in this shot. (and the SN 2011dh!)

Cheers

Jamie

post-24182-133877629026_thumb.jpg

Neil,

I'm a newbie like you but the following has proven to be very useful to me when operating unguided.

Focus Mask - Very cheap from FLO and it does make a difference to the focus.

Deep Sky Stacker for stacking and alignment. (freebie)

Take darks as well as subs to help eliminate noise (at least 10 or eleven if you can). DSS will use the darks and the subs.

Process in PS or Gimp (another freebie). Lots of good guidance in the imaging section.

ps much better than my first attempt.

Regards

Peter

Thanks for the info Peter. I used a Bahtinov mask which to me is essential when trying to focus the camera using live view. I have never taken dark frames but will try this next time.

As mentioned earlier I must read up on DSS to get the best out of it.

Drumsolo I hope you are getting all this info as this was your thread and I dont wish to steal it.

Neil

No problem Neil, glad to absorb all the info!

By the way what is the name of the galaxy in your picture and can you tell me the exposure/ISO settings? Very nice pics!

Thanks

Stuart

Stuart

Sorry I am late getting back to you.

Picture number 1 is NGC 869 (Double Cluster) 6 frames between 10 and 30 secs at ISO 1600.

Picture 2 is the M51 (Whirlpool Galaxy) 7 frames between 10 and 30 secs at ISO 1600

Then used Deep Sky Stacker and Photoshop Contrast and Brightness and Unsharp Filter.

Hope this helps

Neil

Archived