NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ3 v EQ3-2

It used to be called an EQ3-2 way back in the Helios days. Most people just dropped the /2 bit and called it an EQ3.

All versions (EQ3, EQ3-2, EQ3 Pro and CG4) have provision for polar scope. Perhaps the confusion comes from Teleskope Service and their Astro 3, which Skies the Limit then sold as an EQ3?

Just found the review by Paul Money in the March 2010 S@N mag where he states that the EQ3 mount can't have a polar scope fitted whereas the EQ3-2 can. He was testing 6" reflectors and made the above comment on page 96 whilst reviewing the Visionary Mira Ceti.

Unfortunately i haven't got a copy but i'm not entirely convinced by Paul's statement. I've never seen an EQ3 that couldn't take a polar scope. Be interesting to see that article. I did read it originally but never noticed that.

Just for clarity, was he referring to the mount under the Visionary scope? If so, it's not an EQ3 and that's the confusion i mentioned earlier. It's an Astro 3 mount with the Visionary and a completely different beast entirely.

I'm hoping it does have a polar scope, as I have just bought one off fleebay. It has a faulty drive controller (repair or replace) and is black, but no mention of no polar scope.

There's a chance one won't be fitted, just an empty hole which you can still sight along for a rough polar alignment.

Don't fret, there is only one Synta EQ3/EQ3-2 and all have a facility for the polarscope.

The only issue will be getting the right polarscope to fit your mount. The fitting for the Polarscope has changed with small revisions to the mount.

The old model EQ3 (EQ3-2) had a polarscope that was just a black tube with an eye cup at one end. This slid into the mount and then held place (and adjusted) by 3 screws.

The newer EQ3 (EQ3-2) uses a polarscope which is a complete unit including the polarscope and the setting circle.

However, unless you plan on imaging there is no reason for the polarscope. Sighting down the hole is plenty good enough for visual observing. In fact it's fine for widefield imaging too.

Was hoping to do some very basic imaging and will be fitting a polar scope. Was aware of this issue with polar scope changes, which I shall worry about when it arrives.

From orbs posts, it seems a small amount of dismantling is required for older eq3 mounts

I bought my EQ3 recently along with the scope. It has the holes to mount a polar scope but I'd have to get the scope itself separately. I didn't because, quite frankly, the rough polar alignment is close enough for my visual observing needs. The mount itself is white and came without any motors, but I plan on buying those. What I think would be an improvement on the basic package is, supply 4 control cables (2 for Ra and 2 for Dec) and color code them (say, white for Ra and red for Dec). This would make things easier for folks who like to operate their scope manually. Sometimes I'd find I would have to assume ridiculous poses to reach the control cables when looking through an eyepiece. I'd have the Ra and Dec control cables oriented in opposite directions, with one pointing at the sky right below the OTA, for instance. It can be frustrating trying to figure out where a control cable is tapping in the dark while looking through an eyepiece as you're trying to fine tune your alignment.

Overall, I find this mount surprisingly good. It handles my 120/1000 OTA fine, at least for visual.

Archived