Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RA setting circle EQ3-2

having read how to use the setting circles on my mount I thought that tonight I would actually have a go at finding something using them. Have just finished setting everything up ready for later and have noticed a problem. The locking screw for the RA circle doesnt actually lock it. with the screw loosend I can easily turn the circle independantly of the axis when I tighten the screw down I cant turn the circle with my fingers but as soon as I start to turn the axis using the cable (as if I was tracking) the setting circles moves with it. I have tried different amounts of "tightness" on the screw but it makes little differance.

Its certainly not a big issue but I was wondering if I missed something? I have to admit that the setting circles on this mount do unfortunatly give the impression that they were the casualty of a production cost cutting exercise so I wasnt expecting miracles but it kind of annoys me that it doesnt do what its supposed too :). Anyone else noticed the same thing and can give any advice?

RA setting circle moves no matter what you do! When I have screw locked it will move when moving the RA axis. When I use the polar scope I move the mont in RA to desired time/date then twist the setting circle to point at 0 (keep finger on it) and set the time as accurately as I can.

HTH

so it is a fault with the mount then? the circle is supposed to lock when you are tracking something isnt it? like i said its no biggy just wanted to make sure it wasnt something i was doing wrong

The setting circles are there for display purposes to make the mount resemble a 'scientific' instrument but are in fact too small to be effective. That's why in practice, the manufacturers have not gone overboard in supplying you with a scale that you can actually use and explains why it's allowed to move. Take a look at how small the setting circle actually is, imagine how accurately you would have to etch the markings on it for it to be of any use and then look at what they have supplied you with. The mount you have got is a good mount but the setting circles are there for show.

James

I've never used the setting circles on my eq3-2 and not yet found a need to use them. In fact the only time I notice them is when taking the cap off to polar align.

Star hop for visual and if more accuraccy is required it's the GOTO route....

I see you have the motors for the eq3-2, how do you find them? I've been toying with the idea of getting them just for visual tracking just to make life easier when changing focus or EP mag (and having a cheeky smoke if I'm truly honest). I'm guessing you visually polar align through the 'hole', is that sufficient for the motors to track reasonably? were they easy to fit? and are they pretty solid and stable? as I transport the whole mount and tripod on the car back seat I'm not sure if they'd last long if knocked around

The motors so far have been worth there weight in gold. I havent dabbled in the imaging side of the hobby yet but just being able to walk away from the scope to change an ep, get a drink, use the loo etc and come back to find the object still central in your fov is great. The only downside I have found so far and its only minor is that if you want to use the slow mo cable to turn the RA axis you have to loosen grub screw on the gear which is tiny, (the dec motor has a friction gear that you can loosen which makes it a doddle). If you loosen it to far and it drops out you will never find it again. Aligning through the hole is fine for visual observing but I believe polar alignment with a scope is reccomended for imaging. Dont forget its only the RA motor that tracks. The dec motor only turns when you tell it too. Very easy to fit. Instructions were no problem to follow. I wouldnt want the weight of the mount resting on the motors they seem very solid but as a precaution I rotate the dec 180 degrees so I can store the mount laying down but well clear of the motors.

cheers Steve, think I will make the motors my next purchase based on that recommendation.

I'm hoping they will help comfort wise too as opposed to crouching down to view through finder and EP whilst trying to grab the RA cable which is on the opposite side of the mount when viewing south.

The EQ3-2 motors are surprising good. It's a bit of a shock when you fist take them out of the box. Like, "I payed £90 for that ???", but they really do work. At a public observing event in Feb, I centred the Pleiades in a 30mm wide angle EP and I didn't have to touch the controls for the full 3 hours.

• 8 months later...

Hi Nova.

Just like you I have decided to try and figure out the setting circles and have the exact same symptoms as you. Looks like a blind monkey assembled it!

I can appreciate what JBM says that it's a good mount that has cut corners a little to save cost........but then why do they offer instructions on how to use them?? Would be a bit cruel of them I think.

I've only had mine a few months so I'm thinking of emailing them to find out what's what. Have you taken it any further since your post?

Hi Matt, no I haven't taken it any further. Tbh I'm happy that I understand how to use them but with my addition of a telrad I don't really need them and as has been said (not sure if it was on this thread) the scale on the circles is to large to be of any real use but having said that I have managed to use them with some success since this post so all is not lost

Hi,

I asked the same question a year ago, and got this answer

"the scale is 24hrs multiplied by minutes in an hour 60 = 1440 multiplied by seconds in a minute 60 = 86,400 this is how many marks on the scale there would need to be to be even half way accurate so if every mark was just 0.5mm wide the setting circle would need to be 43.2mtrs dia"

I never worked it out (confused) but it does sound right. If its wrong someone cleverer than me will put it right.

Kev.

Thanks guys. I have just emailed them anyway. Like you Steve, I am not overly fussed if it doesnt work. I am more concerned that the bit that holds a finder scope is all ok. It was while I was looking in to buying one that brought my attention to it. However, it would save me lots of time searching the skies for a target if it did work!

Archived