NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 550D aperture without a lens

Hello,

When I take off the lens to attach my Canon 550D body onto my C-8, I can't get an f-stop reading. The display says f/00, and I can't change this in any way.

I understand the aperture values are linked to the lens that is used, but in practical terms, what does f/00 mean? I suppose it means my aperture is wide open, but could someone confirm this?

Thanks.

Hello,

When I take off the lens to attach my Canon 550D body onto my C-8, I can't get an f-stop reading. The display says f/00, and I can't change this in any way.

I understand the aperture values are linked to the lens that is used, but in practical terms, what does f/00 mean? I suppose it means my aperture is wide open, but could someone confirm this?

Thanks.

If there is no lens attached to the camera the camera will display f/00. The electronics in the camera would normally show what aperture has been set on the lens but without a lens attached F/00 is displayed. The same applies if you attach the camera to a telescope.

Peter

The aperture value displayed, is the focal ratio (focal length/aperture) of the lens. When you connect something with no electrical contacts to the camera, the camera cannot determine the setting in use, so displays f/0.0. In the case of your scope (I don't know the exact details,but I suspect) it's f/10. This is not adjustable from the scope (the focal ratio is fixed by the design, a camera lens has an adjustable opening), but you can add barlows and reducers to change the focal length, changing the focal ratio.

Without the lens you can't use the camera readouts of aperture....

This now comes from the optical set-up of the telescope.

The camera should be set to M manual.....exposure time to suit the object.

A remote control helps reduce possible vibrations.

Archived