Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ring Nebula

zimzimma

Hi

Thought id show you a "stunning" image taken of the ring nebula, dont mean to blow my own trumpet but this has to be image of the year :).

Ha ha, this was 10x5min subs on a canon 10d, apart from being absolutley rubbish it took forever, but hey it is my first ever image, would love to pick your brains on how to image such DSOs it was barely noticeable in the scope just trying to get used to the skys at the moment.

Now for any printer or graphic designer out there this is not for retail, im sure after viewing such a wondeful image you would be aware that its current value = priceless :(.

Thanks peeps.

Rich T

post-24251-133877625721_thumb.jpg

Thanks Neilius,

Have to say jumped straight in, skipped prime focus and tried the eyepiece projection method without focusing first. Its an incredible object and im determined to do a proper job on it, even tried last night but its almost horizontal in the sky at midnight which makes for a bad neck so tried some others. Actually tried with my desire phone but had no luck really, and that was of the moon. Need to get right in on it but not sure of best method yet as im still very new to this thanks to stargazing live.

thanks again

I'm sure you'll get it! I am relatively new to astronomy (well, this time round), but I'm leaving the photographic side of it alone and just happy observing.

I have yet to see the Ring Nebula though - I'm off to Stellarium, to see if I can see it through the 200p!

hehe, thanks for posting Rich. It is mighty small though I'd agree, maybe go for a Barlow of some sort..

your doing all right with the subs, just needs to be bigger! :)

Glen

Thanks Glen.

I have a reportedly good 2.5 x barlow (the x3 is pants to be honest) but when i was looking at it through it it seemed very feint as there is so much less light gathering but maybe with long exposures it will bring it out. Because I havent got liveview on my cam its very trick to get in focus with EP projection as i have only the viewfinder to work with, will definatley give it a whirl though. I have an adapter alsofor EP projection but wont hold my Meade EP unfortunatley, is there a distinct advantage in going upto a 2" EP for such objects? I may try prim focus next but as its only a 8" 1000 i dont think it would be of much use.

Thanks bud.

With the 1.25 to camera you'll get vignetting on the shots , fading/darkening in the corners i believe, i'm no expert..:)

.. it'll will always look dimmer in the Ep than any picture unfortunately :( and your right, longer exposure would get the colour.

Hope this helps a little ..

Glen

I'm sure you'll get it! I am relatively new to astronomy (well, this time round), but I'm leaving the photographic side of it alone and just happy observing.

I have yet to see the Ring Nebula though - I'm off to Stellarium, to see if I can see it through the 200p!

I picked it up last night in my 8" last night during a break in the clouds. First time I'd seen it (I bought my telescope when I lived in London -- this dark sky stuff is new to me!) Brighter than I expected, and clearly a ring with averted vision. If there's a break in the clouds tonight, I'll try the Dumbbell.

• 2 weeks later...

try the modded spc900 in lx mode and sharpcap......lx mode and maybe 20 x 60 second subs and 20 darks with the same settings...then use dss to process the images,youll be suprised how good a picture you can get of the ring this way

• 2 weeks later...

It all comes down to how dark your viewing location is...the first time I saw it from my dark spot I was stunned...but from my house it's very full and dim...but still visible. Agree with the multiple captures joined...you get great results thwart way.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

You've made a decent start to imaging here.

Two things to say straight off. Match your choice of target to the focal length and chip size of your rig. You can model them in terms of field of view using CCD calc. The New CCD Astronomy Home Page

Don't stick Barlows in the train because they will simply kill your f ratio.

And then think about flat fields. Your image is brighter in the middle than the edges but flats will nail that.

Attaboy!

Olly

Archived