Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pelican & Dark Nebula

johnrt

Now you're talking! That is really coming along. Much better colour. It is always frustrating, I find, that retaining the exquisite structural details of the Ha layer in any coloured version is very difficult. When adding an Ha layer to red, for example, I process it differently than I would a 'standalone' Ha. I push the local contrasts much, much harder knowing that they will be diluted by the rest of the image.

Pixinsight wavelets? Not a fan. To my eye they give a 'look' which you often see straight away and that suggests artifice. It's hard to define but to my eye they give the image a sort of 'shrivelled' look, or maybe 'puckered' would be the word? However, you haven't overdone it here and I really do like this pic.

If ever you want to lift out the dark haloes round stars a good way in Ps (sorry Harry, don't excommunicate me!) is to use clone stamp set to mode 'Lighten.'

Anyway, great stuff John. Really nice mosaic.

Olly

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very impressive stitching in the Ha image, and thanks for posting your technique. I think I can see some join in the O3 added bit in the bottom right frame, but this is coming along nicely. I'm learning a lot of PI which I have yet to fiullt purchase from reading this post.

Cheers Tom.

Thank you all for your encouragement! It really means a great deal after you have spent hours on an image.

I can see some stitch lines too - all in the OIII channel. It is a nightmare to get it to join without seams especially when you are shooting panels weeks apart due to the good old British weather. The sky conditions vary wildly from night to night, the Ha is much less effected.

Archived