NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi Members

Need some advice,looking at buying a canon 550 t2i for astrophotography would this camera be considered good for this purpose or is there a better option in there camera range, don't want to buy a ccd camera at this stage yet.

many thanks Robbie.

cpc 9.25.

The 550D is a great camera for astrophotography even unmodded, however with your telescope the flip screen on the 600D would mean you don't have to grovel around on the floor to focus it when shooting overhead (unless you intend to use it with a laptop)

Mel

I have a modded 1000d that I use for astro and a 55od for normal photography. There have been reports that the noise from the 550d is unreasonably high compared to other models in the Canon range so not particularly suitable for astro work.

However, tonight looks like its going to be clear so I am going to give it a run out to compare for myself.

The reports I've seen suggest that the 550D has similar noise levels as the 1000D but the 450D has less. The 450D appears to be less sensitive than either the 550D or the 1000D (the 550D has smaller pixels but they are microlensed thus increasing the sensitivity). Plenty of people seem to be getting good results with the 550D

Archived