Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Optical Supports VMC Mirror Cells for Newtonian telescopes

Curt Walker of Optical Supports in the US has appointed First Light Optics the exclusive UK retailer for his VMC range of Mirror Cells for Newtonian Telescopes :glasses2:

If you have a Newtonian telescope that cannot be easily collimated or has difficulty retaining precise collimation, this is the solution.

Compatible with all the usual brands including Skywatcher, Celestron, Orion US and GSO (Altair, Astro-Tech, Revelation, TS, etc).

optical-supports-newtonian-mirror-cells-sgl.jpg

For further details and up-to-date prices please visit our website.

• 1 year later...

This is one of those situations when my own enthusiasm for a product got the better of me :smiley:

Optical Supports VMC mirror cells are well-designed and well-made. When we put them into stock I had in mind all the re-badged GSO Newtonian telescopes out there, particularly the fast f4 models with good optics but weak mirror cells. I figured owners would jump at the opportunity to upgrade their cell but in reality most modified/repaired their existing cells until they held collimation.

So, here they are at half price. Feel free to take advantage :glasses2:

optical-supports-8VMC-plate-diagram.jpg

Funny I was looking at this today morning, even before the half price it seemed cheaper than last time I looked.

Will need to compare first with Orion Optics UK one, as this is for my OOuk reflector. Main requirement is weight.

On mobile (excuse the strange predictive words...)

Unfortunately they aren't compatible with Orion Optics tubes. Can't remember why, something to do with a turned lip, or something like that. They are however perfect for Synta (Skywatcher, Celestron, Orion US) and GSO (Altair, TS, Revelation, et al).

HTH

Unfortunately they aren't compatible with Orion Optics tubes. Can't remember why, something to do with a turned lip, or something like that. They are however perfect for Synta (Skywatcher, Celestron, Orion US) and GSO (Altair, TS, Revelation, et al).

HTH

Hm, mine is an old version though, it seems to be a bog-standard tube. I'll take a picture with the current cell removed.

I had an older OO 12" newtonian and found that the tube was too small - by about 5mm I think.

The cell itself is rock solid and a work of art in its own right!

I did consider having it trimmed to the fit the tube..... :)

Reading a bit more, and remembering my current mirror cell, even without tube lips or inner measurements, I don't think this will work as the mirror would be too far in the tube, thereby altering the focal length.

Shame, l really like it!

Archived