NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nagler or Nirvana?

Hi everyone. I am seriously thinking about upgrading to either a 13mm Nagler type 6 or a Skywatcher Nirvana 16mm. My main reason for upgrading is for the extra fov and in the future i intend to upgrade to a 12'' Dob and as it will be faster i want something with really good edge correction. A 16mm Nirvana would replace my 17mm Hyperion or a 13mm Nagler would leave both my 13 and 17mm Hyperion's redundant. I just can't make up my mind which way to go :hello2: I have read that the Nagler is quite critical about eye placement and the eye relief is a little tight although not overly so (i don't need to wear glasses while observing). I have also read a report placing the Nirvana pretty close performance wise to the Nagler. I don't mind paying the extra for the Nagler as i want which ever one i buy to be a keeper, but i suppose i want to be 100% sure before i jump in. In short, is the Nagler worth the extra and would i notice the difference?

Hi Damo, can't comment on the Nirvana, I have a 13mm Nagler and as you would expect me to say its a brilliant mid power ep, I also like its small compact size plus if you should ever decide to sell it the price you can command is always pretty high as it is of such a high quality. Not sure a second hand Nirvana would have as good a return.

Any chance you could get to a local astro society and see if anyone has both of them to get an evaluation?

Good Luck with your choice :hello2:

Hi Damo

I again would recommend that you visit your local society or observing group.

Nothing beats a bit of hands on experience.

Whilst the Naglers are indeed excellent eyepieces some of the cheaper options work very well in slightly longer focal ratios.

Do you know what focal ratio the 12" Dob will be?

There are quite a few manufacturers supplying 82* eyepieces check as many out as you can.

An informed choice is normally a wise one.

Good luck with your decision

Regards Steve

The Nagler will be excellent but more expensive.

It will command a greater resale value.

It will be more versatile in faster scopes and although not necessary, will still perform brilliantly in slower ones.

I guess it comes down to individual value for money, if you can afford it you won't regret it. If you can't afford it then it's great that there are so many other EP's getting close to the same level of performance at a cheaper price.

Regards

I had looked at the 12mm T4 but it looks like a bit of a grenade compared to the 13mm. In what ways would you consider it better?

The 12'' Dob i have my eye on is an f5. It's the 300p Skyliner. I hope by the end of the year to have sufficient funds gathered up for it. I don't know of any local astronomy clubs but i suppose a bit of Googleing might help turn something up within reasonable driving distance.

I had looked at the 12mm T4 but it looks like a bit of a grenade compared to the 13mm. In what ways would you consider it better?

It's definitely a larger ep than the 13 but for me the extra er is plus and like all of t4 naglers they are just so immersive. Get the instajust in the right position and the views are just amazing

If you could do a side by side comparison that would be good as they are quite different ep's

Difficult to comment when I have only used one of the two EP's you mention but I will say given the 13mm Nag would make the 13 & 17 Hyperions redundant and so offer a way to help fund the 13 Nag through there sale this seems to me the obvious way to go.

If you still have doubts the best person to ask would be Jahmanson as he has owned both the EP's you refer to.

SPACEBOY

Cheers Spaceboy, I'm hoping John will chime in at some point. I agree the Nagler would be the most obvious route to take. The sale of the Hyperion's would make it not too painful a deal.

Jahmanson did a report on the nirvanas vs naglers and a pentax maybe this will help a little until John chips in himself

http://stargazerslounge.com/attachments/sponsor-announcements-offers/57573d1304077412-skywatcher-nirvana-uwa-eyepieces-3bigeps.pdf

Jake

Thanks Jake. I have read this report before and to be honest its what got me thinking about the Nirvana's. When a self professed Televue guru heaps praise like that on them they must be pretty good. The only thing putting me off slightly is the fl. It's a pity they don't make something in the 12-13mm range.

I'm also interested in the nirvanas as well at the moment as I'm trying to sell my fast newt and replace it with a slower frac

I have slowly moved away from observing to imaging and have sold off all of my naglers over last few weeks apart from the 12t4 :hello2:

The nirvanas sound good for those occasions when the misses wants to do some observing or when I can't be bothered to get all the imaging rig setup and just fancy observing

Jake

Archived