Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

meade qx or keep 4000 plossls

Hi to all wonder your thoughts on the meade qx eps or am I best sticking with the 4000 meade using them in a celestron 127 I use hyperions in the lx 90 and the revelation 12 and wether its worth the upgrade to the qx or not thanks to all and clear skies. Paul

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply, the plossl's seem ok for planetary work, as I'd be using the Celestron for on hols, think there's an extra element in the qx compared to the standard 4000, or would I be better 'upgrading' to the 5000's, the hyperions are great on my other scopes, but I don't think they'll suit the 127 regarding weight and at f11 the 4000's are ok as I have a set right up to the 40mm, just hope the Celestron's ok from a dark site in the west country, and I hope I can see a few more DSO's thanks again Steve and clear skies to you Paul.

Paul, I agree with above - budget wide eyepieces are ok but not great, you could be better looking here on the for sale, you can get good quality eyepieces from members much cheaper than new and superior than wide-angle clones.

Andrew

Paul

That's a good question!

I have used these qx types 15 and 20mm on a etx90 f12 ok but not so good on a F9 refractor.

Not sharp for a fair bit of edge field. The BST explorer range I have a couple are similar to meade 5000 - 6 element 60 deg field and well respected on this site for £40 from skies the limit

Sky's the Limit

Your hyperions are are excellent but as you say BIG - too heavy for my setup.

I have got a used meade a few weeks back from a member 20mm SWA and is fine much better than QX range but more expensive. This range has now been discontinued. And of course televue are very fine again used on this site are excellent value.

I would recommend the BST on your mak the same quality as the 5000 plossl well made around 6OZ - to get anything better unless used your talking of spending in the region of £100 plus.

Hope this help, andrew

Hi Andrew thanks a lot for the advice , I'll try to see if I can get hold of some bst's on here and give them a try and if all's ok think I may change the whole set of 1.25's for them, as I say, I'm only going to use them in the mak, so not really fussed, thanks again Andrew and take care Paul.

Archived