Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader D-ERF & Custom Filter Cell

Baader D-ERF & Custom Filter Cell

The bits are starting to arrive for my solar scope project and hopefully by next week they will all be here so I can get the project finished. ;)

I decided to get the custom made filter cell when I ordered the Baader 110mm D-ERF from TS. Well the photo on TS's website certainly doesn't do the cell justice. It's a very substantial machined aluminium part, and very well finished as well. None of that light-weight spun aluminium stuff. Once you get your hands on it's obvious why it costs so much more than a cheap spun cell.

The lens cap is a bit of a "Blue Peter" home made affair. I had a cheap spun aluminium solar filter cell from Scopes'nSkies Astrobboot that with the addition of a strip of velcro for padding around the inside was a snug push fit onto the D-ERF cell. Next a plastic lid from a food container was a perfect snap-in fit inside the cell. I glued a piece of black leatherette onto the lid and snapped it in place and there you go, a very nice lens cap that cost about £3.00 in total and matches the D-ERF cell.

John

Looks great John.

Did it come with the filter fitted, and if so, was it tilted to avoid reflections?

It came with the filter fitted. They fit it for free when you order the filter at the same time. I assume it's tilted correctly, but I'll report on that when the scopes finished.

John

Hi John,

I asked about tilt correction when I ordered my ERF cell and was told they (TS) don't do it. A couple of cork pads (£1 from Wilko) do the trick instead. Another one of Ken's top tips!

Thanks for the info. I'll probably just give it a try first as is to see if there are any reflections, but I'll know what to do if there are.

John

Archived