250px & Baader Laser Collimator MK III ?

Now having sold my old scope i have a small amount of extra cash to play with in buying extras for the skywatcher 250px:)

We was going to go with the cheshire for £25 , but now im debating the Baader Laser Collimator MK III for £55.

However i notice that there is a warning that these may not work well with entry level/intermediate scopes due to the focusers.

Does anyone have any exsperiance with using the Baader Laser Collimator MK III with the standard 250px focuser?

Cheers guys, iv been asking a ton of questions today and youve all been a great help:) i did try the search function before asking this but couldent find anything. Im starting to get really excited now:D will be ordering the scope on monday!

I'm no expert, but I have a Baader laser collimator and a 250PX, and the combination appears to works fine for me.

What I have noticed in the 3-4 times the 250px has been rolled out is that it always needs collimating.

Hi Crunchard, thats reassuring to hear:) is the fit in the focuser nice and tight?

I also heard they need collimating very regulaly, and i think anything that helps makes this easier and quicker will make the scope all the more usable on a day to day basis (weather permiting!)

The cheshire method whilst proven is going to take longer, and minimum set-up times would be a great thing:)

Hey Wildwood, where did you get your Orion precision self centering adaptor from? id acctualy guessed a decent laser collimator would be around the £100 mark so one of these is possible for me if needed.

Interesting thread. I have considered purchasing a Baader Laser Collimator MK III as I currently use a Cheshire and Colli cap. I have to collimate each time I use my 10" FlexTube; I've been thinking that a laser collimator might speed the process up? Thanks for posting ;)

Hey Wildwood, where did you get your Orion precision self centering adaptor from? id acctualy guessed a decent laser collimator would be around the £100 mark so one of these is possible for me if needed.

I got it from FLO for about £35.00 Am very impressed with it .;)

I use the Baader to collimate and then a Cheshire afterwards to verify.

I also have the Baader mklll and a Cheshire and use the Antares self centering adapter (identical to the Orion). I bought the adapter from Agena in the states and saved around a Tenner at the time. It a much better job than the thumbscrews and much easier to use in the dark. The Baader is a nice piece of kit but i find the cheshire almost as fast and tend to use it more. You will still need a Cheshire or colli cap to center the secondary mirror.

http://www.altairastro.com/product.php?productid=16220

http://agenaastro.com/antares-2-to-1-25-twist-lock-eyepiece-adapter.html

The thing to remember with Laser collimator's is that they will need to be collimated themselves.

I have the Baader MIII and it was delivered with spot on collimation, however I have heard of a few people who have received less than desirable units with poor collimation.

The other thing to remember is to ensure that the collimator is sat square in the focus tube and the screws are not unevenly tightened which may push the collimator to one side.

I would strongly suggest looking at a SCA (Self Centering Adaptor) for using when collimating.

Having said all the above I have used my Baader with my 250p DX and got collimation very quickly and easily.

mmm thats interesting, I forgot about barlowed laser collimation which is good but whats the difference with that and this Rear View method? DO I still need to cut a piece of paper with a hole in it to work or is it just the laser collimator and barlow that does it?

• 1 year later...

An alternative to the self centering adapter from Antares, Revelation and Orion is the Howie Glatter Parallizer 2" - 1.25" adapter, which I've just ordered from FLO at £41.50 inc VAT & P&P.

It's designed to keep anything inserted into the focuser drawtube parallel with the optical path (provided that the focuser is mechanically and optically square to the OTA, which it should be ideally). The concept looks interesting and it applies to the outside of the 2" unit as well as the inside. Don't take my word for it though check for yourself @

http://www.collimator.com/ or

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/howie-glatter-parallizer.html

Archived