NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Digital compass

Guys,

May sound a silly question but,

If I use a digital compass on the base of my dob, would this accurately depict its azimuth settings, or digital setting circle ???

If so, if incorporated with the Wixey scale, you have a set of digital setting circles in both Alt and Azi. And, for under £45.

Hope someone can have some input here.

Eddie

I was trying to find out the same thing myself over the weekend. I'm still not certain so will be keeping an eye on the replies with a keen interest.

If it is possible, what compass do you have in mind?

Just sat here and thought of it.

I have quite a few retailers here, Halfords, Go Outdoors etc. Prices from £9 onwards. No loss if they donot work. My brother has a Wixey gauge.

Hopefully someone will add some info here.

Eddie

A cheap alternative would be the iphone compass if you have one already?

The Lat/Long measures are however a known bug on the Iphone4 though apparently. I live NW of Greenwitch and the iphone says i'm East.. Hmmm.

i have a digital compass..... its sitting in the drawer.. i tried it once on my old dob but i lost patience with it... u would be better off with azimuth scale and a wixey imo

I also use Setting Circles and Wixey. I printed my azi scale from here Jim Easterbrook..

http://www.jim-easterbrook.me.uk/astro/scope/dob/azimuth_scale.pdf

I use a standard compass and spirit level. ;)

Archived