NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Shroud question

Hi,

My Astrozap shroud for my 250 flextube arrived today. Having fitted it as per the instructions I'm a little concerned to find that the material falls within the path of tube itself on two sides(forming a triangle) rather than forming a circle around the OTA. Surely this will effect the amount of light that is gathered?

Is it me? Or is there something I'm missing?

It seems a lot of money to be spending to reduce the benefit of the larger scope.

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

Is it me? Or is there something I'm missing?

I don't think you are missing anything here, if the shroud intrudes

into the light path, thats not good. Is it intended for your scope ?

Or is it intended for a scope with more truss poles, like the Meade

Lightbridge that would keep the shroud outside the light path ?

You could try a DIY approach, with hoops to hold the shroud more

circular. Or maybe contact the supplier to discuss ?

Hope you find a solution to this, Ed.

Edit - how about a DIY shroud with something light but rigid like

camping mat foam ?

I've got the Astrozap shroud on my SkyWatcher 250 flextube, and it fits fine. I keep the cords tightened on the top tube, and once I have taken off the dustbin lid I tighten up the bottom cords, and I haven't noticed a problem. I guess you maybe just need to tension it up a bit more if you are worried about it.

Allan

I've got the Astrozap shroud on my SkyWatcher 250 flextube, and it fits fine. I keep the cords tightened on the top tube, and once I have taken off the dustbin lid I tighten up the bottom cords, and I haven't noticed a problem. I guess you maybe just need to tension it up a bit more if you are worried about it.

Allan

Allan, ;) I've got the Astrozap for my 250px and it fits well. I do the same once I've removed the lid - I tighten the bottom cords and increase the tension too.

Allan

Thanks for the replies. If I tension it any more the cord is going to tear the material. How many plastic rings are in yours? The picture of the item I bought shows two, but mine has one only, and it's either side of the ring that the material falls into the light path.

A bit frustrating for £59.00.....

The AE shrouds don't fit. You have to buy the size up (12" Lightbridge shroud for 10" Flextube). And then get hacking to make it fit. Bit of flaff but once done works okay. I'm still going to make a fabric shroud though as the AE shroud is heavy and i really don't need anymore weight to throw off the balance.

How many plastic rings are in yours? The picture of the item I bought shows two, but mine has one only, and it's either side of the ring that the material falls into the light path.

There is one plastic ring, about a couple of inches across, in the middle of my shroud.

Allan

Archived