NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

eyepieces

Hi Bert... it's cheaper than buying them individually...but, do you need them all ?

If you got the standard 10mm & 25mm with your 'scope... the 9mm & 12mm don't give you much more than you have....the moon filter might get some use...but , the other filters ?? this is another option...far superior eyepiece..but a bit dearer First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

I found going with my 'scope to a group viewing evening paid dividends...& saved money...i was lucky enough to try other peoples eyepieces to see what worked with my 'scope...have a 'click' on Community at the top of this page...then social groups...might be one near you...good luck

For £127 you could grab a 20mm or 25mm Televue Plossl. Forget the overlap with the supplied 25mm, the TV Plossl is in another league. Also add a TS HR Planetary 5mm or 6mm for £49. Roughly the same cost as the set but two quality eyepieces that could last a longtime (it's usual to say 'lifetime' but no one does). I know it looks a poor recommendation at first sight. Just two eyepieces when you could have a handful of eyepieces plus a barlow, filter and t-adapter. But this is quality over quantity. :)

Another option is perhaps substitute the TS HR for a Baader Genuine Ortho 6mm but that adds another £23. I prefer the HR personally. What it loses in ultimate performance it makes up for in ease of use and comfort on the eye.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_Plossls.html

http://www.modernastronomy.com/eyepieces.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-genuine-orthoscopic.html

When you have some more money, perhaps add a barlow or second TV Plossl.

This way you build a quality eyepiece collection from the start and maximise the potential of the telescope.

I love it when people recommend eyepieces I own!

In my experience the TS Planetaries are very comfortable to use with a good large field. After only owning plossls, my first TS Planetary had a real wow factor. They are easy on the eye too - no kidney beaning or blackouts and you can comfortably see the whole field without turning your eye, which I really like.

I love it when people recommend eyepieces I own!

In my experience the TS Planetaries are very comfortable to use with a good large field. After only owning plossls, my first TS Planetary had a real wow factor. They are easy on the eye too - no kidney beaning or blackouts and you can comfortably see the whole field without turning your eye, which I really like.

:) they are great eyepieces

I have all the EPs in the set, though I bought mine individually over a period of time. They are a definite improvement over the Skywatcher supplied EPs, are good value for money and will serve you well.

Recommended ;)

ok thanks for all the advice guys but first i need to know what my scope is capable of ie planetary ,deep space, and if it does both could a good set of eyepieces be recommended for both scenarios,

cheers in advance

mick

Your scope is good at both. 200mm aperture is pretty powerful, and gives you good angular resolution (for making out tiny planetary detail) and ample light gathering to view faint objects. Russ's suggestion would give you a TV plossl for deep space and a TS Planetary for, um, planetary.

I'd be inclined to the baader hyperion zoom, but I don't want to make a recommendation of something I have never used myself. I'm sure the zoom performs well at focal ratios of 8 and higher, but your scope is F5 so hopefully someone who has used the zoom in an F5 scope will contribute.

The option suggested by Russ also has merits. The 6mm TS planetary will give 200x magnification which I find to be usable on most planets most nights - but others find they cannot go to this sort of magnification so often. It depends to a large part on the observer unfortunately. The 20mm TV plossl would give a field of view of around 0.86 degrees which is enough for most clusters, the Orion Nebula and so on. The TV plossl should be optically superior to the Baader zoom at 20mm, although the zoom will show a wider section of sky.

i got the baader zoom earlier this month, great quality ep and far superior than the issued eps and quality from 8-24mm and thats with my 114!!! cant wait to pick up a 200p ASAP to see how much better it is again.

1 vote for the zoom here!

The Baader zoom is a great eyepiece. One of our members has it and it works extremely well. It's only real downside, it common with all other 8-24 zooms, is the very narrow field of view at the low power end, just when you want it wide. Other than that it's great.

I do have one other niggle with a zoom.....i like a few eyepieces rattling around in the case, so just one would be depressing ;)

I think the trick for cloud dispersal is to buy some expensive, heavy and keenly anticipated cloud studying instrument.

;):D:)

If you decide to start building up a set of Orthos (either Baader or "volcano top") and TV Plössls you'll end up with a range of EPs that'll work in pretty much any 'scope that you care to use. All can be found at reasonable prices second hand, too.

Archived