NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Naglet T5 16mm vs Ethos 17

Hi,

I am looking to complement my Tak LE lineup with a widefield ep in the 2mm exit pupil range.

I am drawn between the Nagler T5 16mm - love how much you can put into such a small eyepiece - and an Ethos 17mm.

People tend to agree that the Ethos are sharper then Naglers.

Did anyone made the same experience with the 16T5 and the 17E.

Would be happy if someone could come to the rescue of the Nagler, dont mind the "small" fov as long as I get the sharpest views.

Thanks

Andre

Hi Andre, I don't have any experience with the 16T5 but I do have an Ethos 17 and it is a superb ep. Since I bought it I hardly use my 28mm Nirvana the Ethos has become my finder ep. Different scope I realise but in my 10" Dob using the Ethos I can see the Veil Nebula without a filter it is super sharp. Can't wait to use it in the FLT98 (tripod and diagonal currently on order). I would have thought the only downside to the Ethos over the Nagler is size, the Ethos is a big ep.

Thanks Chris, yes the size is my biggest issue. My Giro alt az mount doesnt lock 100% when tightening the screws and I am afraid my scope might just flip around when changing ep's.

I have an alt-az mount very similar to a Giro and I used to use a mix of 1.25" Naglers and 2" ones. The changes of weight did prove challenging for the mount and I was thinking of getting one of the Tele Vue "Equaliser" adapters for use with the smaller eyepieces as it evens up the weight. In the end I opted for 3 Ethe to go with my 20mm and 31mm Naglers though :)

While I can't comment on the 17 Ethos I can on the 16T5. I personally love the eye piece but I would say it's like Marmite.... "your either gona love it or hate it". The stars in my scopes have always been super sharp and the false colour usually associated with Naglers is well controlled. BUT and this can be a BIG BUT for a lot of people, the eye relief is impractical and was no doubt the sacrifice made in having such a compact ultra wide FOV EP. While you do get to see a large section of sky if your one of those people who like to get a sense of the field stop this will not be an EP for you. You can get in to see the field stop but expect eye lash grease on your lens and black outs. Even if you are familiar with looking around wide FOV ep you will get black outs unless you are really good. The small eye lens restricts the ability to **** your head to avert your view so any looking around has to be done skillfully with your eye to avoid loosing the light cone. The original space walk concept was to see the sky without boundaries and this EP is the epiphany of that but a lot of people may see it as not getting value for money. Some may say Televue got this EP wrong but I actually find at dark skies the EP sits in the focuser more than any other EP. Given the price difference of the 2 EP's in question the best thing I would recommend is give the 16T5 a try before you buy as if it works for you the views are superb and you do get a lot of eyepiece in a ridiculously small package.

SPACEBOY

Hi Andre, I have borrowed a Nagler 16T5, and while it is a lovely compact and sharp

to the edge ep, found (like Spaceboy) that the eyerelief was very short indeed.

But as I am used to Radians, perhaps I was expecting too much in that regard.

But if the eyerelief is ok for you ( for many it is ) then a great ep in every other way.

I have tried the 13 & 8 Ethos, and had no trouble seeing the whole field of view at

the same time. They all have the same eyerelief, so should be similar in that regard.

HTH, Ed.

Archived