Flightcases for optics/equipment and NEQ6

astrovirus

Hi all,

Over the last year if have constructed me some very nice flightcases for storage and transport of all of my equipment. Ordered some flightcase materials from a local webshop and got some 9 mm multiplex from our local hardware store. Used some left over foam from work and in the end all comes together nicely.

Thanks for watching.

Regards Tim

post-19333-133877620263_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620269_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620274_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620279_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620285_thumb.jpg

post-19333-13387762029_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620296_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620301_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620307_thumb.jpg

post-19333-133877620312_thumb.jpg

Nice! They look very well done. I did something similar myself, and I too looked at the flight-case materials, but were a bit pricey for my budget. ¿How much did you spend in total for both those cases if I may ask?

They look great, can you guide me to where you found the one which houses your NEQ6 as I'd like to do a similar job! Do you have the dimentions of it so I can find?

....can you guide me to where you found the one which houses your NEQ6 as I'd like to do a similar job! Do you have the dimentions of it so I can find?

Mine is a complete DIY version. Outer dimentions I used are approximately 45x45x23 cm, which makes the inner dimentions 43x43x21 cm.

Regards Tim

¿How much did you spend in total for both those cases if I may ask?

Yes, it's not cheap, but the quality is outstanding. Costs for the flight case parts were around €150 in total for both cases, and the multiplex (1.22x2.44 mtr) was €25 which just fitted all plates for both cases if I remember correctly. Finally some euros for paint, but I forgot the price.

It's expensive, but in the long run it'll probably be worth it. But how about the wheels? How would they behave over rough ground? When I made my caseI was told by other forum members (and I think they are probably right) that hardish wheels would rattle the scope and misalign the optics quicker requiring more frequent maintenance. I suppose this isn't a problem as long as you roll over smooth surfaces. I bought a trolley with little soft inflatable wheels.

When I made my caseI was told by other forum members (and I think they are probably right) that hardish wheels would rattle the scope and misalign the optics quicker requiring more frequent maintenance. I suppose this isn't a problem as long as you roll over smooth surfaces. I bought a trolley with little soft inflatable wheels.

Yes that's probably true. However, when I use hard wheeled cart outside, I usually travel long distances with the scope by car anyway, so collimation on site is needed anyway. And at home indoors the surface is smooth, but I have to carry the case 1 floor down as the gear is stored in a spare bedroom upstairs. Again making collimation needed when setting up in the garden.

BTW the case is standing on seperate platform with wheels, so they aren't permanently attached.

Archived