NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

crayford focuser for the 8" skywatcher newt - advice please

I want to get a crayford focuser for my skywatcher 8" newt as the focuser which came with it imho is pretty gak, even though I have taken it apart, cleaned out the gunge and replaced it with something nicer. Can anyone link me to what I need to be looking for as of course something that will fit the scope out of the box would be a great advantage. Thanks.

When using my Celestron for the first time (recently) I noted how "coarse" the focusing mechanism was. It does make sharp focusing a challenge! This post is very interesting and useful - thanks.

I note that the "scopes and skies" info specifically mentions Revelation and Meade scopes. I will have to contact them to see if this is suitable for the Celestron C8N.

Thanks

Bill£

You'd probably have to collimate as the new focuser might not be directly over the secondary, no big deal though. A Crayford operates the same way as a rack and pinion (ie. turning the knob at the side) but is a lot smoother and more accurate, it stops where you want to to stop not somewhere near like a R&P.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if I'm too late with this, but if you go to www.scsastro.co.uk and select Orion Telescope and Binocular, they do a retro fit crayford for their dobs. These telscopes are basically the same as the Skywatcher newts.They are relatively cheap too.

Cheers. John.

Archived