Binoculars???? please Help!!!!!

Good day to all, thought I had better post this again on the equipment menu just incase the last post went on to the wrong menu (Not too sure how to work these new fandangled computer thingies).

Anyhoo, I was wondering if anyone could please help me (or point me in the right direction) in choosing a set-up for using binoculars. I have a small 60mm telescope for my garden but it is very light polluted indeed so I thought I would invest in some binoculars and get myself out for some midnight bike rides and peep at the optical delights of the night sky. I have looked on line but I still cannot choose (or know) what I need.

I am a bit lost i.e do I need 15x70's (the celestron skymasters seem to be popping up a lot) do I need a tripod or a monopod? (I dont fancy lugging a big tripod around in a backpack, but I WILL if needed) do I need smaller binoculars, maybe 10x50's (i can only afford 1 pair and would be gutted if I needed the larger set and bought the smaller ones). Which size do I need if I can only have one set?.

I think I would prefer the larger ones as long as they are not too awkward for peddling about with. (I think?)

Any help on this would be very much appreciated.

God.! cannot wait to see some good stuff, I am like 5 year old at christmas here.

Many many thanks and have a nice day folks.

catdubbs.

:)

Hi Catdubbs - what sort of budget did you have in mind? There's some quite reasonable 10x50's in Liddls right now made by Bresser for around £25. I find the Celestron 15x70's need a tripod - but it's just a s/h (£22) camera tripod so quite light - and an adaptor for about £15. The bins can sometimes be found on offer for £50ish new (mine were £80) and are pretty equivalent to the Revelation 15x70's.

Hope that helps :)

Hi mate,

Your post reminded me of my first post on this forum, i was in the same boat when looking for bins and i asked the same questions.

I ended up buying the celestron skymasters 15x70 bins and i have been using them for the last 6 months as ive been saving for my first scope. they are great binoculars! they also give some great views of the moon. There a bit on the heavyish side, dont get me wrong there not heavy to hold but what i mean is when trying to focus on somethin its hard to keep them still and after 10-15 mins of use your arms get a bit shaky but i just went and bought a camara tripod from asda to get me by, think it was only £12, its not amazing like but it stops problem of the wobble of the hands so you can look at objects with a bit more focus and admire the view, Also it really helps when looking at the moon so you can see the craters and detail ect without any movement. They really are a nice solid set of bins and as i said they have been great for learning the night sky for me for the last 6months. I just set mine up on the tripod get out me little chair and scan the night sky, on a darkish night i have very slightly made out the shape of saturn altho this is only slight.

Hope this helps, oh i bought mine off ebay think they were £80,

Mark.

Hi Catdubbs, I am currently looking for a pair of decent (budget bino`s) and have been checking out Adler Kosmos 15x70 from Pulsar Optical, normally £90 reduced to £49.99 at the moment. apparently they are really light at 1360g, (is this light for a pair of 15x70`s ? Not knowing much about bino`s at all, has anyone tried these bonoculars ?

I have 15x70s but could not possibly use them without a tripod. I can see things, yes, but they are so jittery that I would see more with something smaller. I like 10x50 or 8x42-ish very much, hand held.

For a given price the simpler Porro Prism type are better value because roofs are much harder to make.

I reckon that somewhere around a hundred pounds you are starting to gild the lilly. Nice if you can afford it but not necessary and a lucky pair of the famous fifteen quid ones are not at all bad. (From memory, since a guest accidentally went home with them last year!! He's bringing them back this year...)

Olly

I've got the Celestron 15x70's and pretty much always use them just by holding them as they are fairly light. I do have a monopod but find it more a hinderence than a help.

You will get tired just holding them when stood up after around 20 mins, but I've found that sitting in a reclining garden chair I can happily scan the skys with them hand held for a couple of hours without fatigue.

I've got the Celestron 15x70's and pretty much always use them just by holding them as they are fairly light. I do have a monopod but find it more a hinderence than a help.

You will get tired just holding them when stood up after around 20 mins, but I've found that sitting in a reclining garden chair I can happily scan the skys with them hand held for a couple of hours without fatigue.

Sure, but in my case it isn't the weight but the magnification. I have some tiny but excellent Leica 10x25s and rather wish I'd gone fo 8x because of the stability. I was fine with 10x when I was younger.

Olly

Archived