Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW 200p Dob + Heq5?

A 200P would fit nicely on that I reckon. You'd need the tube rings and dovetail substantial enough for the ota. I've seen this combo many times at star parties :) Something like these:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-telescope-tube-rings.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/skywatcher-dovetail-mounting-plates.html

Sorry for jumping in on the question but it's of interest to me too, same scope & mount.

Would you also need big muscles and a stool to stand on?

At the star parties were the 200p scopes on fully extended mounts or at low levels for ease of viewing etc?

Not sure I'd manage the weight of the scope and I'm only 5' 6" :)

I suspect it's going to be the 235mm rings and 33.5cm bar.

Well the bar I'm sure on as I have it on my 200P f5. The rings though, gut feeling says the largest size will be too big leaving only one option.

@ steviedvd,

Admittedly my 200mm F4 is shorter, but if you dont extend the tripod legs you would likely still be ok.

If you can put the tube on the mount and leave it for a given period then fine, but if you have to set up for each session it might be more difficult.

My experience is that its not so much the weight, but the awkwardness of trying to get the tube on the mount I.e. The dovetail into the clamp. It's about 10kg to very gently get into the clamp, otherwise I bump/clunk/nearly drop it and ruin the collimation, then hold it still with one hand while tightening the screws. Don't try it in the dark until you are well practiced!

This confuses me.

I know my tube isn't what you would call big but I've always removed the tube from the rings, mounted the bar on the mount, locked everything in place and put the tube into the rings. at my 54.5°N the scope can sit there while I do up the bolts. Obviously if I had a bigger tube the thing would be heavier but I can't see why it wouldn't work.

Extending the legs really serves to give a wider base to set the whole rig on giving more stability (eg for imaging). If it's all balanced nicely it will work ok without extending them too far (or at all). If the eyepiece is high I use a caravan step - the single step, wide platform ones in plastic will cost less than a tenner in most camping stores.

When choosing what weight you can handle it's allways best to go to a shop or astro soc and try them out for the size/weight that suits you. That said - I've seen a small chap putting a huge tube upright on a stool next to the tripod, then maneouvering the mount round to accept the ota dovetail. I thought it was quite cunning :)

I expect it would be the confidence needed that would be the major factor. I get worried fitting my Megrez in case it gets dropped:eek:

For me I think it's a tad too long & heavy. Perhaps a lighter carbon fibre or aluminium tube would be different matter.

Thanks for the advice guys and sorry if I've hijacked the thread.

Astroluke, the HEQ5 is a great mount in any case. If you have the 200p dob then you can assess how that would handle for you - perhaps a 200p is but a feather for younger muscles.

Archived