Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Homemade pier power/USB & dew heater hub

George

In my quest to tidy the rats nest of wiring & numerous PSU's that have infested my pier I've housed everything in a tidy hub.

Here's a sneak peek :rolleyes:

I'll be finishing the soldering this weekend then I'll post some images of it powered up on the pier.

post-13224-133877616267_thumb.jpg

post-13224-133877616272_thumb.jpg

The hub consists of the following:

2 x Dew heater ports with 3 separate channels on each port with a maximum of 5amps per port draw.

1 x 12v DC port for my electric focuser

1 x 7.4v DC port for my DSLR

10 USB2 powered ports

Parts used:

2 x Como speed regulators used as the PWM controllers £13.04 each

1 x 10 port hub that I got off Ebay £5.98

All the hardware, switches, LEDS etc were from bits box £9.00

The project box I had lying around but there are many on EBAY

Total cost minus the speed regulators which I got free from an abandoned project at work :) was £14.98

You could also use Velleman K8004 for your PWM's or there are many PWM circuits if you google, one I've used in the past and cost pennies if your good with a soldering iron is this one.

Hope you like my efforts :icon_eek:

• 3 weeks later...

Looks good.. a cautionary tale about comodrill pwm controllers...

They switch the output on the ground side so make sure you isolate the phono sockets - A plastic box is great.. if your using a metal box then you need to make some insulating bushes ... had me scratching my head for a few mins when I bulit my first dew controller using a pair of them...

Peter...

Just wondering can you have a power and an earth coming off of one phone socket or do u need two phone sockets. Cheers dazz

Yes, they are 2 pole; outer ring GND and inner pin 12V.

Archived