Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What should I expect?

Manok101

At the end of the month I am going camping and taking my 10" telescope with me, my current skies, without the scope, I can only see the brightest stars, and without I can see about mag 8-9 stars. The place is fairly remote, Mount Piscga (I know my spelling stinks). I've never had the oppurtunity since I got either scope to go someplace nice and dark.. so how much of an increase in stars and dsos should I see? What fun things should I look for the end of the month?

With a 10" scope under truly dark skies the difference will be staggering

You may find it difficult to navigate around the sky as there will be far more stars than you are used to seeing.

DSO's will take on a whole new perspective for you - the effect could be the equivalent of doubling your aperture. At the SGL6 star party I could detect traces of spiral structure in M51 with a 6" scope - it takes 10" to get near that from home.

Personally I like to go on a galaxy hunt under dark skies - the Ursa Major / Canes Venatici area is full of them !.

Have fun !.

Unfortunately as you will still be in the UK all you are likely to see is clouds.

Joking aside you will likely never want to observe in your garden again. Since getting a dark site it is very rare I want to use my obsy anymore. Trouble is constantly traveling to dark skies can become expensive. So I like so many other I have to suffer the constant dawn glow of light pollution ever in the hope there be a power cut one night. Dark skies are like a drug to astronomers and once you take that first hit it will always leave you wanting more.

You will be lost!

If you're used to seing Cassiopeia's big W all alone up there, in a dark spot, that constellation is positively swamped by a background of stars you never suspected existed! A nice "problem" to have though!

Have a great trip!

no offense taken :). I'm afraid of the possibility that I will not recognize any constellations after seeing a picture taken from the area where the local astronomy society has its meetings (which is where I will be viewing from the 3 nights i will be there. Basically in my area when it is clear enough, in the winter I can see all major constellations(brightest stars of each), other times of year, just a few bright stars. I will be taking my ipad with me to help me identify the brighter constellations for alignment :icon_eek:.

Thanks, I'm really psyched for the trip I'll let everyone know how it worked out, If anyone is curious, the place I will be stargazing will be 5,000 feet above sea level, and wont be at the top of the mountain, don't know how I'd transport my 10" dob up there.

I was born a Tar Heel and spent my first 50 years there. My dad was born in Swain County, NC, west of Mount Pisgah (correct spelling if we are talking about the same place).

Let us know about your experience. Take along a personal recorder and record notes - maybe just leave it on. I bet you will enjoy the playback for awhile.

Archived