Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help ! 1.25" or 2" Eyepieces ?

I have just got back into astronomy again after a long break.

I have purchased a Meade LX90 10 inch which comes with the standard 24mm eyepiece. I have also taken advantage of the Meade promotional offer and get a free Meade 5000 series 24mm 2" eyepiece and a 2" diagonal.

Over the next few moths I will no doubt be building up a lens collection.

Three questions:

- I hear good things about 2" eyepieces - do they offer many advantages over the 1.25" eyepieces ?

- What three additional lenses should I buy first - I am interest in planetary and Galaxy viewing (i recognise I will probably need to buy a focal reducer for some of the galaxies)

- What brand of eyepieces would you recommend - sure everyone would like Televue Nagler/Ethos, but opinions on Radians, and other brands such as Baader Hyperions etc would be appreciated.

Apologies for the list of questions but any help appreciated. I want to avoid expensive mistakes.

NB. My scope is f10 with a focal length of 2500mm.

Thanks in Advance

Andy

Hi Andy, TV eyepieces are very nice in any scope, but with your F10 SCT, less

expensive ones will work fine. Hopefully others will say what focal lengths would

be best, but I agree with post #2, 8-10mm is as high as you need to go. For me,

something that gives around 100x is a great workhorse, the 24mm you already

have will do that.

Regards, Ed.

The advantage of a 2" eyepiece is that it allows a much greater FOV, which will come in handy for you with that focal length. The disadvantage is the not inconsiderable price difference, particularly if you want to use filters etc with it.

I can't comment on particular brands.

is it worth pushing the boat out on Televue ?

If you can afford it, then Televue eyepieces are up there with the

best. But with an F10 scope less expensive eyepieces will be good

performers, however.

Regards, Ed.

Archived