NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Just had to do it - M51 & SN

Dave Smith

My Skyshed POD does not allow me to image close to the zenith and so had to wait until about 1 am this morning to start on this and then by around 2 am the sky was brightening.

14 x 5 mins at iso 800 with a modded 40D and FL102s scope.

M51+sn-08-06-11.jpg

In spite of the noise I am very happy to have captured my first SN.

Dave

My Skyshed POD does not allow me to image close to the zenith and so had to wait until about 1 am this morning to start on this and then by around 2 am the sky was brightening.

14 x 5 mins at iso 800 with a modded 40D and FL102s scope.

In spite of the noise I am very happy to have captured my first SN.

Dave

Nice image Dave - very impressed!

Hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist a quick go at noise reduction in Neat Image, using default settings. I'm sure you can clean this up a lot to improve it even further.

post-19542-133877615072_thumb.jpg

My Skyshed POD does not allow me to image close to the zenith and so had to wait until about 1 am this morning to start on this and then by around 2 am the sky was brightening...

Ditto! :)

I'm currently waiting until about the same time to catch M51, for the same reason. I didn't offset my pier, but I thought you did.

If it wasn't for the SN I wouldn't be in any hurry, though. Just wait another month and it'll be a bit better situated.

Nice image Dave - very impressed!

Hope you don't mind but I couldn't resist a quick go at noise reduction in Neat Image, using default settings. I'm sure you can clean this up a lot to improve it even further.

Thank you very much Kevin. In fact you have done me a great favour. I have Neat Image but have never been able to use it properly as I've never got round to reading the instructions.:icon_eek: Your version of my image has forced me to do that and the image in my post above has been changed to reflect that. It's actually very straight forward but I just missed what to do. So many thanks for the push.:)

Dave

Ditto! :)

I'm currently waiting until about the same time to catch M51, for the same reason. I didn't offset my pier, but I thought you did.

If it wasn't for the SN I wouldn't be in any hurry, though. Just wait another month and it'll be a bit better situated.

No, my pier is central to the POD. In fact if it had been offset the situation would have been worse as usually people offset to the S and so more of the sky to the North of the zenith would be hidden.

Good luck Robin.

Dave

Thanks Dave for producing this photo of M51 with the SN. I have compared your image with the Stellarium software and have now produced a map corresponding to my 10" Dob and the 8mm Ethos.

If it goes clear tonight I will try and view my 3rd SN.

Thanks again.

Mark

• 1 month later...

Archived