Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Setup - Nearly Sorted

martin_h

I've managed to get the double shooter rig all pointing at the same star :) cloud dodging as you do....just need a clear night to try it out now.

Image 1 shows Vega in the centre of the chip and on the screen of PHD

Image 2 shows Vega Close to center on the other scope (close enough I think)

post-16950-133877614005_thumb.jpg

post-16950-133877614011_thumb.jpg

You know what this means then?.... youre going to need another CCD :(

Best to find out if it will guide ok first though.

I've got another CCD, QHY9 mono and a QHY9 colour :)

As for guiding - well it should, it did before I put the other scope on!

Have a look at Al's reticule V3.2 - it provides a fully customised overlay for the PHD screen - we use it extensively in spectroscopy. A great freebie. Highly recommended.

Oh I've got it already - wouldnt be without it:D

Both CCDs already? Looks like youre all set to go then! :)

Which way round are you using the cameras? Giving the longer FL to the colour or the mono? If it were me, I would probably give the FL to the mono.

Processing will be interesting too, because you will need to resize the colour frames (a bit like binning). I think in maxim you will need to split the RGB master into separate RGB panes so they can be aligned with the Luminence master from the mono camera (combine colour/LRGB).

This is a brilliant idea. You could spend the cash on a bigger mount and scope and then not get the clear sky to use them, but this way you blaze away and will get what you need for a great image.

I am going to put my ZS66 next to the focally reduced FSQ, both around 330mm FL, mono Ha in in the WO and OSC in the FSQ. When not using the reducer I need an Ha hoover of 450mm FL and can't think of one, but I can get 480mm with my Pronto and reducer so might have to settle for that.

Good luck with this. I think it may catch on.

Olly

I'm giving it a go at the moment, shooting OIII with one in 20 min subs and RGB with the other in 10 min subs on the Crescent widefield I started a while ago. I already had some RGB for it - but you can't have to much data can you :)

It will be interesting to see how it goes on a new project starting from scratch......Veil neb comming up me thinks, Ha,OIII and loads of RGB stars!!

Its the setup ive been aiming for, though whether i could get away with it on a CG5 GT is another thing. Im about £1100 off being able to afford this (the cost of a 2nd hand ED80 and colour Atik), and 1700 if I have to get an HEQ5.

This lot is deffinatley the last astro gear I buy.....honest! :icon_eek:

Yeahhh right :) (strokes long beard)

Ive just had an idea though, if I can find a really light 500mm f6(ish) OTA, then I could probably press gang the 1000d back into service alongside the Atik. Might still have to shed weight elsewhere though (OAG?).

You wouldnt even need the FW if you are intent on just doing Ha & OIII, I'd just mount the filter directly on the CCD window of each camera (can be done with an Atik, and with QHY if im not mistaken) and do away with the filter wheels to save weight.

Hmmmm..... i'd better stop thinking about this, its all too tempting! :)

Archived