Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pentax 0-GPS1 adapter for Pentax DSLR cameras

We have recieved details of a New GPS unit for Pentax K5 and Kr digital SLR cameras. The Pentax 0-GPS1 offers a number of GPS related features, including an 'Astrotracer' function. I might be reading too much into this but it does appear to offer an interesting alternative to traditional autoguiding.

It should become available around mid-June and retail at around £229

pentax_0-GPS1_gps_astrotracer.jpg

Steve :)

• 2 weeks later...

These look interesting. I've looked for info and they say they are compatible with any Pentax with a magnetic SR system yet only list the K5, Kr and 645D as suitable cameras.

My older K-10 also has magnetic SR. Do you think it might work or is that too much optimism?

I think what is most interesting about this is that it is an astro-specific product made by a camera manufacturer, not a small, third-party company.

I know we've had false starts before - the Canon 20Da springs to mind - but we can live in hope that this heralds the beginning of more interest in supplying these sort of items on the part of companies like Canon, and maybe more astro-friendly cameras to begin with, on the part of my beloved Nikon.

I can dream.

I have spoken with our man at Pentax, he says it makes the necessary corrections after taking into account location and pointing direction/angle. It is designed for use on a static tripod with a low-medium magnification lens. It will achieve exposures up to around 5-mins. Sounds ideal for use starscapes but is not a replacement for an Astrotrac or for auto-tracking with a GEQ mount.

Grant (SGL ADMIN) owns a Pentax K-r so has volunteered to put one through it's paces for an SGL review :)

HTH,

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

I only just saw this and found it very intriguing, would love to see some test results once they come in. Not that I'm in the market for a new camera at the moment but if it's succesful I could consider it.

Also I'd like to echo fatwoul's sentiments, it would be good if it gives a boost to the bigger companies to maybe consider the astro market as well.

Out of curiosity are there any other products like this at all or is Pentax now going to be the leader in the market?

I wonder if the DIY'ers would be interested in this too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

I have just come across this post. I have seen a promising report on dpreview, but has anyone here tried it yet?

Steve FYI this months S@N has it in the gadgets section with you as a supplier, but I cannot find it on the web site, other than in the news section.

Rob

I confess we have been waiting for reports from actual astronomers before putting it into stock.

Perhaps we need to arrange a review. Robd, if you have the necessary camera would you like us to send you one for assessment?

Steve

Please email us your details (link below). SGL's PM system is not intended for retail so messages are often overlooked. If you email us it goes into our helpdesk where Martin will see it and make the necessary arrangements.

Thank-you for volunteering :)

Steve

I have seen a couple of user reports elsewhere, it does seem to do what it says reasonably well. But it would be good to se a thorough report on SGL, I still feel this product could take off if it could be shown to be reliable. So may Pentax cameras.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived