Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double Star Challenge in Scorpio

Ad Astra

With summer coming on, Scorpio and the brilliant red giant Antares rise higher in the sky each night. Many of us know of the two lovely clusters (M-4 and M-80) in Scorpio, but fewer have plumbed its depths and explored the treasury of double stars there. :)

Splitting doubles is a great challenge, some of these are easy, others are very close and may require a larger scope and higher magnification (and good collimation! :) ) to split them successfully.

The attached worksheet is 3 pages and has instructions and room to sketch what you see and record your results. It also includes a detailed star map that will help you find your way!

Post your results and let us know how you get on!

Dan

Double Stars in Scorpio.doc

Hello Dan thanks for the double star document for Scorpio. I live at latitude 52 degrees in the UK and my horizon is good to -30 Dec and then I have problems seeing objects. I use a 4" Astro Tech f/7 frac and the Nagler zoom to view doubles and cross check suitable doubles with the Cambridge Double Star Atlas.

It was clear (for a change!!) in Hereford last night and I was viewing objects in Scorpio although the haze stopped me viewing NGC6144.

I look forward to using your recommendations on doubles and thanks again for the document.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I realize that many of my friends live in the northern realms of the UK, these labs are regionalized for those at about 35-40 N Latitude, so you may have to either wait a bit later into the summer, or later at night to give this a go.

I deliberately did not include stuff lower (farther south) in Scorpio so as to accomodate you folks 'way up north'! :) All of these doubles are located north of Antares - so if you can see the big red fellow - you should be fine. That said, I realize that viewing is more challenging lower on the horizon.

Maybe I'll try another similar lab with a more northerly constellation later on.

Dan

Archived