NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

the sun this evening PST

garethmob

well i gota say what merlin66 said is correct, it was fantastic sight it fading below the house oppersite, me and my uncle focused it so we could see solar prominances, spots was really really good i need to get a shade for it now tho :)

i was using the eyepeice it came with the k20 is there any better to use, iv got all my own normal astro eyepeices but i really id want ones just for this to keep in its box so i dont lose any

cracking sight tho :) the wow moment left my lips more than once:P

i was using the eyepeice it came with the k20 is there any better to use, iv got all my own normal astro eyepeices but i really id want ones just for this to keep in its box so i dont lose any
I bought some TS/HR planetary eyepieces for the purpose. Usefully wide field, commensurate (to PST) quality, good eye relief... About the right SIZE and weight for the job. Focal lengths around 8mm suit me well. :)

http://www.modernastronomy.com/eyepieces.html#hrPlanet

Edited: Called them "Baader" rather than "Telescope Service" eyepieces. :)

I found the Baader orthos to be exceptionally good for use with a PST (the 12.5mm in particular) and will give very sharp and contrasty images. The supplied 20mm Kellner is certainly usable but not exactly top quality and a bit too low magnification.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-planetarium/baader-genuine-orthoscopic.html

John

does the 8mm show the whole disk? iv got a 10mm vixen npl but the image seems to be quite small :hello2: as in not as "widefield" which i know it makes sence but i think im a little confused
Well, the PST is 40mm diameter F10 scope - One presumes a focal length of ~400mm. <G> But an 8mm e.p. would give you 50x. If it's apparent field were 50 deg (e.g. a Plossl) that would give you a true field of ~ONE degree. Easily framing the Sun's 1/2 deg disk. Your True mileage (and field!) may vary though. But you get the general idea? :)

In truth, skilled astronomers, tend to use lower powers and better eyepieces - Such as the Ortho(s) above. :)

Hi ,have you considered a 21-7mm Zoom, makes life very easy. I have had one on my PST for 4 years with no priblems. Bear in mind the field stop is quite small, so you do not need a very wide angle lens. John.

Archived