Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moving from dob to CG-5

Hi there,

Previously I had my 200P on a dobson mount and it has the black connectors on the side which allows the screws on the dobson connect to it to hold it in place. Are these meant to be removed when going moving to an equatorial mount? I just removed one and it has left four holes on the OTA.

Am I doing this correctly or are they meant to stay on?

Thanks for help in advance :)

Carl

I must admit i left mine on for dual purpose use. 90% of the time it was still operating as a dob. But if you have ditched the dob base it makes sense to remove them.

It makes you appreciate just how easy that good old dob was. :)

I've kept the dob base just incase I decide to go back to it for whatever reason and kept the screws etc to put the connectors back on. Embarrasing thing is is that ive had this CG-5 for months now its been sat in my bedroom gathering dust...and its only just getting its first use tonight :p

I have a vague idea of how to use it but will just be a matter of time until I get the lark of how to use it and different to the dob it is. I have a feeling tonight will be one stressful night :)

You should have no problems, I found my CG-5 as intuitive to use as the Dob is said to be :)

In daylight, or inside, just have a good long look at it and have a play. Get a feel for how it moves and behaves before mounting the 'scope and counterweights.

Repeat once all the gubbins are loaded onto it and you are getting it all balanced.

The Astronomy Boy website has a great Equatorial Mount Tutorial. There's also plenty of info on the CG-5 too.

I'd be interested in hearing how you get on with your dob/CG5 combo, as it's an upgrade path I'm thinking about too. If you get chance would you be able to take a few pics please?

I'll be brutally honest and with no disrespect meant, I think you are nuts wanting to go from a rocker box to an EQ5/CG5. For 1) the lazy Susan design offers way more stability than a 8"/EQ5 combo ever will. 2) AZ mounts save you the hassle of figuring out how to rotate the OTA so it doesn't crash in to the mount 3) setup time is nothing compare to having to PA, erect tripods and mess with heavy counter weights 4) AZ mounts keep the focuser in a consistent position for reasonable comfort 5) it is possible to construct EQ platforms to track objects and have all the benefits of an AZ mount and the choice of much larger OTA's.

I have an 8" 1000mm/CG5 setup and it is no where near as stable as my larger 10" dob. I'm assuming with the longer focal length of the 200p 1200mm this will put even more stress on the CG5 mount and cause more irritating focus problems as your images dance around the views.

But then why do companies sell the 200P on the EQ5 if its not going to be very stable? Also im aware that the CG-5 has better tripod legs than the EQ5 aswell.

I am no good at construction so an EQ platform wouldn't be much good to me :)

@twotter Mine looks very similar to the image dweller25 has posted just on a different mount. I have just kept the screws, dusters and the connectors for the dob in a tub if i choose to return to the dob.

@david o Cheers for those links they are very helpful indeed :p

But then why do companies sell the 200P on the EQ5 if its not going to be very stable? Also im aware that the CG-5 has better tripod legs than the EQ5 aswell.

Because unfortunately HEQ5 are still beyond the budget of most beginners. Granted the 2" SS tripod legs of the CG5 offers more stability but at the end of the day both the EQ5 & CG5 are the same mounts which are pushed to there maximum capabilities when used with a longer tube 8" scopes. For this reason it is hard to beat an 8" dob setup.

I prefer to think of myself as a little eccentric, rather than nuts, but no offence taken :)

Much as I like my current dob, Goto appeals to me, and price is an issue, though how my disposable income compares to my astronomical knowledge does escape me for the moment :p

For visual use, putting my OTA onto a CG-5 is a definite option. Then again, I'm quite taken with the TAL100RS, when they come back to the UK in the Autumn. The CG-5 will cope with one of those, I'm sure. Mind you I'm also thinking about a 127 Mak, even an ETX125 perhaps.

Choices, choices...so a bit of research isn't a bad thing :p

But unfortunately the dob is limited to basic photography of planets and the moon. I intend to buy some dual axis motors soon so I can at least get a taste of DSO imaging and I know that there wont be a possibility of adding a guide scope unless I upgrade the mount to HEQ5 or EQ6 but that wont be happening for sometime :p

I understand your point though, the mount will be pushed to its limits and I highly doubt that I will be able to get quite long exposures when doing photography but I dont mind taking shorter subs just as long as I take more of them :)

I prefer to think of myself as a little eccentric, rather than nuts, but no offence taken :p

Thank you for not taking offense as none was directed at anyone :)New Under The Skies :headbang:

But unfortunately the dob is limited to basic photography of planets and the moon. I intend to buy some dual axis motors soon so I can at least get a taste of DSO imaging and I know that there wont be a possibility of adding a guide scope unless I upgrade the mount to HEQ5 or EQ6 but that wont be happening for sometime :headbang:

I understand your point though, the mount will be pushed to its limits and I highly doubt that I will be able to get quite long exposures when doing photography but I dont mind taking shorter subs just as long as I take more of them :p

I know where you are coming from with wanting to get more from you scope. Allowing short exposure imaging and the ability to open up the heavens with GOTO but I'm sure at some point you will understand where I was coming from. At least if you keep your rocker box you will have the best of both worlds. If you do find the CG5 works out for you this might come as a handy addition to your astro kit First Light Optics - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser

SPACEBOY

I was considering buying that actually...but as I've sold my 300d and gone and bought a 1000D maybe focusing wont be much of a problem with the 1000D having liveview. For the sake of throwing an extra 100 quid in I'd rather have liveview, more MP's and a much more recent model. 300D was awkward looking through the view finder looking at the moon.

Never the less...it still produced nice photos like this one from a single shot;

bestmoon.jpg

It has indeed :) Started afocal...then webcam, then ended up buying an SLR :headbang: I can see why so many people spend a lot of money on this hobby now! I have to rely on pocket money to buy everything that I have as I dont have a job and still unfortunately doing sixth form, but you dont have to spend much to get some nice photos and enjoy the hobby. I got my scope for xmas, then shortly after got the CG-5 and ever since then I've been buying bits and bobs and saving for an DSLR. Just need dual axis now and I should be ready to do some reasonable photos :p Not bad for spending less than about £500 :p

There was a duel axis which would fit the CG5 in the for sale section. Not GOTO but would offer tracking once objects are found.

I know what you mean by relying on pocket money. I'm a full time house husband looking after the kids and having to rely on hand outs from the wife and selling off everything I bought while I was working to fund my astronomy addiction. The prices of astro equipment means your £'s don't really go far and the S/H market has little depreciation. You have done well to get such good results for such little outlay. I am lucky in the fact that I prefer visual over astrography other wise I would be gracing the imaging section with some sorry looking pictures :)

I don't have the ability to use for sale section yet :p besides....I'm broke now that I've just bought a 1000D haha. Couple of weeks and I'll probably have enough to just buy them from FLO, thanks anyway. Must not break into the fund for pre-ordering Modern Warfare 3! :)

Hi again Carl,

If your slipping down the slippery slope into the "dark side" of imaging, I heartily recommend that you read Making Every Photon Count (by SGL's very own steppenwolf). If you haven't already got it, of course :)

It'll be helpful in getting you started with DSO work.

Easy to read, it's full of advice aimed at the imaging novice, including choosing the right equipment, explaining what kit you'll need and (more importantly) why - helping you avoid poor choices and costly mistakes. There's loads of tips 'n' tricks as well as lots of other vital stuff.

Have a trawl through the imaging sections too, They're full of info and some very experienced, talented folk who, I'm sure, will be more than happy to share advice and guidance with you.

Archived