Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light Pollution Maps

Ok, we get a lot of people asking for these, so ive made a large pixel map of the google earth program i use (UK Light pollution Map), ive also placed (in white) 10 mile radius circles over the worst areas, i.e. if you want to look at a dark sky dont be under the white circle.

A few notes about the white circles, i make no guarantees about the light levels, ive not visited every place in the uk at night so i dont have first hand knowledge about everywhere. Ive not bothered to include blocking from hills/mountains, so the peak district (which is very dark) looks worse that it actually is (probably).

If you want guaranteed dark, go to wales or scotland :eek:

UKLP_map.jpg

UKLP_map_10mi.jpg

A guide to the colours on the first map:-

White : 0-15 visible stars (without planets) according to the conditions. Very high level of light pollution and all around.

Magenta: 25-80 visible stars. Principles constellations began to be recognizable.

Red: 80-150 stars : constellations and others stars appears. In a telescope, Some Messier object began to be observable.

Orange: 150-250 stars in good conditions. The light pollution is present all around but some darks areas appears. Typicaly the middle suburbs.

Yellow: 250-500 stars. Strong light pollution but the Milky Way can appear in good conditions. Some Messiers among the most bright can be visible with the naked eye.

Green: 500-1000 stars : far peacefull suburbs, Milky Way many times visible but very sensitive to the atmospheric conditions. Typicaly, the glare of light pollution take a large place in the sky and reach at 40-50° of elevation.

Cyan: 1000-1500 stars. The Milky Way is visible most of the time in good climatic conditions but without contrast.

Blue: 1500-2000 stars. Good sky. The Milky Way is easily visible, we began to have the sensation of a good sky, but some source of light pollution damage the sky.

Night blue : 2000-3000 stars. Very good sky. The Milky Way is present and powerfull. The light glares are far away and scaterred, they don’t affect the sky quality.

Black : more than 3000 stars. No light pollution problems revealable on the sky quality

I bought one of the Philips Dark Sky maps of the UK the other week. Didn't really understand how bad light pollution was until I got that. The nearest Dark site to me is Kielder Forest or Galloway. Might be an excuse to try out my new scope in a really black place. For observing in my back garden I have just got a LPF.

Archived