Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A little knowledge

rowan46

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What baffles me is how the teacher has looked up M42...sorry, the Orion Nebula enough to get a picture of it and not come across its Messier catalogue number.

I must admit that thought had crossed my mind

Wow I wish I knew that much when I was at school !!!!!!!

Your daughter should be holding her head high knowing that she was right and teacher was wrong. I think this teacher could certainly do with getting hold of a copy of turn left at orion!!!!!

Hi Dave, as others above have already suggested, would definitely send a letter to the Head and request that the teacher apologises to your daughter in front of the class. Great to hear she shares in your enthusiasm for astronomy - it's what dad's are for!

James

At secondary school, my maths teacher drew a diagram of the Solar System on the blackboard but got the orbits of Earth and Mars transposed in order. When I pointed this out, I similarly got laughed at - after all, teacher knows best :)

I find it so curiously interesting that when i was at school, which i absolutely hated and consequently left aged 15, (i passed 11 plus and went to a former grammar school, which was abit too much for me, i just wanted 'normal' school etc), that back there the teachers were so strict on everything, uniforms, food etc. then i worked for a few years and returned to college aged 21. Oh my what a difference in attitude the staff have there. And onto university aged 22, and again such a big difference in attitude (uni is more like college only more relaxed)

None of my lecturers for chemistry are arrogant, stuck up ars****es like my teachers were at school.

I just find it so curious as to why. I understand some school kids can be buggers but i went to a 'decent' school if you like, and yet still most of the staff were, as clive anderson once called the beegees, 'les tossers'

Such a digression so i do apologise, but wanted to say it, and would be interesting to see how many paople agree wiht me, and/or reasons why the staff act different?

Archived