NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Venus, what should it look like?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Got some very wobbly AVIs and Staxed 'em to death. All I got was a blurry looking shape, a bit like an out of focus nearly full moon. Did I do good, or bad, or what?

I've read that it's cloudy there almost as much as it is here, but to look nearly full I'd expect it to be kind of in the opposite direction to the sun, whereas the sun had recently set and Venus was following it down. The raw frames were absolutely horrid as the seeing was Jordan 8 or worse due to looking over houses and the motorway.

Don't know if its an image, or just an artifact caused by stacking loads of carp frames haphazerdly.

Captain Chaos

Venus is not much of a target, TBH. The best time to see it is when it's in a slender phase, but it'll be close to the Sun and the seeing will probably be bad. I've seen it look very impressive at times, but mostly it's just as you describe. Is "blobish" a word?

You know, now that I think about it, the "best" observations I've had of Venus were not so much Venus itself, as the circumstances around the observation. A nearly circular apparition just a day before inferior conjunction, the barest of a sliver before it passes between us and the Sun, or a gibbous phase at 1,024x through a 9" folded refractor. Neither of which had good conditions, the image swimming in the heat of the day for one, and massive chromatic aberation in the other. But there it was, Venus! You may call it something similar to looking at, say quazars. Minute little stellar object....that happens to be 4 or 5 Billion light years away. Not much to see, but hey! I see it anyway!

Can be a hairy practice, and great care is required, but daylight shots using filters will give reasonable results. pick a hazy type of day, which can be indicative of quiet atmosphere. Best probabaly at crescent phase. You are never going to get detail from Venus other than what might be happening in it's atmosphere. That would have to be a very large event. Every night /morning snap of the planet I have attempted have been rubbish.

Ron. :lol:

A planet of illusions and mirages for visual observers. I have an old book with a map of supposed surface markings on Venus that were said to look like the "seas" on the Moon. It adds that in 1841 astronomers in Rome using a 155m refractor "with powers sometimes up to 1128" saw "night after night a valley surrounded by mountains like a lunar crater".

Archived