Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hyperion 5mm or BST Explorer

Hi everyone. i am looking to buy a decent high power ep to use with my dob. I don't want to exceed £100 so have a shortlist of 3. I cannot decide between a Hyperion, a TMB clone or the BST Explorer. I have ruled out orthos and plossls as i like wide field views. Would the Hyperion be worth the extra cost? I realise the Hyperion has the largest fov but would the quality of the views be better than the others.

I have a TMB Planetary 5mm and its pretty good. I have compared the 8mm Hyperion with a 28mm fine tuning ring which effectively makes it a 5mm and to my eyes the Hyperion just about shades it. The view through the Hyperion is a little sharper, surprising really when you consider it has more glass elements. Cannot comment on the Explorer though as i've never used one.

Damo

I have the 5mm Hyperion - just a lovely eye peice & views.

I'll second that, great eye piece but Damo made a good point might be worth buying the 8mm and the 14mm & 24mm tuning rings (which are cheap) that would effectivly give you three new eyepieces.

Archived