Telly getting sillier...

ollypenrice

I only very rarely watch the telly, maybe four or five times a year, but over the last thirty years what amazes me is that it manages to refine its own silliness despite the near silliness-totality to which it has already brought itself.

I have just watched the first part of Brian Cox on the Universe. Now I like Brian Cox and the absurdity of the programme is not his fault.

But the content -any information it might contain, any text of substance- can account for no more than three minutes per hour.

We have B Cox in crampons, B Cox pensive, B Cox pensive from cameras two to nineteen, B Cox driving while talking to back seat camera (don't try this at home), B Cox with mood music, B Cox with cliffs, with desert. Speeded up. Frozen. In slow-mo. In a different T shirt. With more music. Backwards. With dust in his eyes. Doing product placement for Berghaus.

And the content? The arrow of time and the second law of thermodynamics.

The entire programme is built along the lines of an advert. Thinking is cool. Deep. Sexy. What do we think? Er, dunno, we went to media studies school so how would we know? But what a great shot of those crampons. Music! Have we had Mahler yet? He's good with thunderclouds. Hey, puddles. We need Ry Cooder. Get me his agent.

Sorry, a rant.

Olly

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We once watched a Brian Cox programme in physics and agreed that, although there is some good science and explaining in there, he is completely taking the mickey with the program's budget. He flies in a supersonic jet so he can say that the speed of light can't be broken, he explodes a bomb to say that the big bang didn't bang into space and goes to a south american waterfall to talk for a minute about how rivers change their levels due to the sun. Seriously, Patrick Moore hardly ventures out of his home and he still does amazing programs!

Well, it is not B Cox's decision to spend the budget on ten second clips in faraway places but the point is a good one. I also have a pretty good idea as to why TV producers like Patrick Moore, and it has precious little to do with astronomy.

It boils down to the old addage about selling sizzling suasuages. You can't sell sausages but you can sell the sizzle.

Olly

Accessibility.

I quite liked it - science for the ADD generation - however I would have preferred a series that started off like this, moved on until you ended up with a heated discussion between the great minds about the possible theories with real science.

I switched on my TV a month ago.. but only because, in doing the domestic filling, I found a Virgin Media box replacement card.. but as that doesn't work I'm assuming I'll have to call and get it fixed.. I think the TV can cope with another year of not being used (exception of the odd film).. I'm quite tempted to change my VM setup from small TV option to zero TV option... pity that they still have a crappy cap to the internet they provide at faster rates..

"Oh, how we laughed" - As the [washing machine] paddles beat him half to death... As Spike Milligan once said! And such is usually the fate of B.C's critics? You're a brave man, Mr.P etc. :D

What more can one say. I can appreciate the qualities of a fellow (better!) Particle Physicist - Certainly one with greater enthusiasm and career longevity! Trivialising or VERY clever? The program works for many. Not my cup o' tea? Getting old, I sense... :o

It seems that the media (BBC) have definitive ideas on what science (and a scientist!) is supposed to be like. In breaking the mold, we create other stereotypes: Boyish, trendy... militant atheist (LOL). All hail the diversity of REAL life? ;)

Whilst agreeing with most of what's been said after watching Brian Cox's series my two teenage sons actually showed an intrest and came out and had a look through my scope at Saturn and the moon! He appeals to a wide audience and anything that can get people intrested in science and astronomy is a good thing isn't it? I can still remember meeting Patrick Moore and being invited to tea after looking at his observatory's when I was a teenager and how intrested this made me in astronomy. Oh and thank good for SGL...Eurovision in the next room is driving me nuts!

I tried to watch on the BBCi Player and wanted to fast forward all the time but was frightened i'd miss something. Ended up turning it off as it was grinding out a bit.

Having said that , i can fully understand the program layout as most non astro minded people ( i would imagine ) are perhaps not to turned on by The Sky at Night format (although i love it !).

Dont think the series was really aimed at enthusiasts although i think Cox is a great advert..........;)

Don't get me wrong, I think Brian Cox is tremendous. It is what he is allowed to do in the programmes that I find exasperating. Letting him talk aboput science a lot would be a good start!

Olly

I'm with Olly on this one - the program is far too broad with too many huge gaps in detail. You can only take so much lobby music accompanied by hi res imagery of gas clouds in space before you start wanting a little more subject depth.

Waste of a good physicist on the general public if you ask me lol ;)

Lol I get your point but try and bear in mind that the wonders series and the BBC and Brian Cox are trying to appeal to a wide audience and are trying to raise Interest in astronomy and science. It's not designed to increase the knowledge of Seasoned astronomers and dedicated scientists but rather to get people to put down their celebrity gossip magazine and take a look at the sky and open their eyes to what's really out there. To a certain degree of success I think. Science and Astronomy should be part of popular culture and the BBC are doing a very good job.

Science and Astronomy should be part of popular culture...
I agree with the above. I'm less convinced re. some of the scientists and astronomers. <G> It is perhaps the internet - Blogging, Tweeting etc. allows us TOO great an insight into their personal lives and beliefs? I guess, the "celebrity culture" is a price they (we!) must pay. :o

Naive perhaps; nostalgic, certainly. Knowing the diverse SKILLS of scientists re. MUSIC, the "Arts" etc. was always a pleasure. Knowing their (tub-thumping?) views re. politics, animal rights, religion etc. has left me a tad JADED with one or two of 'em! LOL. ;)

A personal (scientific?) view of internet "philosophers"...

YouTube - Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl - Philospher's Song :D

(Warning: Contains strong language, strong drink etc.)

I think that, although the content is important, the main aim of B.C's programmes is to get more people thinking about science. At this it succeeds brilliantly, though now it would be good to see more "proper science" as he has captured the imagination of the audience.

Despite the lack of scientific detail, I still think his programmes are a good thing. It has got people talking about astronomy and science, so well done Professor Cox!

Lol I get your point but try and bear in mind that the wonders series and the BBC and Brian Cox are trying to appeal to a wide audience and are trying to raise Interest in astronomy and science. It's not designed to increase the knowledge of Seasoned astronomers and dedicated scientists but rather to get people to put down their celebrity gossip magazine and take a look at the sky and open their eyes to what's really out there. To a certain degree of success I think. Science and Astronomy should be part of popular culture and the BBC are doing a very good job.

Fair point, but they also produce lots of other science/education programmes without the mega budget, MTV production values and presenter worship we see in BC's series.

Attenborough has been making quality TV for decades without slo-mo shots and loving closeups of his moist lips ;)

Look at the recent work of Jim Al-Khalili, and Michael Mosley to give two examples.

Time Team scratch around in the dirt and have fascinated many and turned them on to archaeology and the only sex symbol they have is Phil Harding!

And then of course we have the wonderful "Sky at Night" .....

TV doesn't need to be sexed up to entertain, educate and enthrall.

We need Ry Cooder. Get me his agent.

I've just written some music for television (a food not science-related programme).

The brief from the producer was to avoid making the music sound like Ry Cooder because that's what everyone else did.

I produced some music which sounded nothing like Ry Cooder.

He listened to it, didn't like it and asked if we could possibly make it sound a bit more like Ry Cooder.

We made it sound more like Ry Cooder.

You can't fight ubiquity.

Tim

Archived