NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Question about handsets?

This has probably been asked a thousand times but the only answer I found only went so far so here goes.

I have an HEQ5 with upgraded to Goto so I have the skywatcher synscan handset.

Question, if I were to by the Supatrak mount from Skywatcher would I be able to convert it (by which I mean plug in the synscan handset from my HEQ5 - NOT fiddle with electronics) to make it Goto.

I think that makes sense.

Excellent. That means I can save a good few quid on the Supatrak instead of the Goto version.

The 127 will most likely be mounted on my HEQ5 side by side with the Explorer 200p anyway but it will be very useful for those grab and go days and camping trips away.

if u want to control the scope u can do it with EQmod directly bypassing the controller altogether but u need a special adapter (FLO sell them)

from what iv heared the EQ mod and planatarium software is more accurate than synscan and eaiser to use, but i havent tested it myself

but to answer ur question im not 100% sure i guess it would have to be but as i said if u get that cable u can bypass the handset its self an plug directly into the mount

EQMOD direct (via an adapter, never plug in a cable from your laptop to the mount directly as you can fry the circuitboards this way) is superior.

1. No hand controller to fail (hand controllers can reboot when power drops ever so slightly meaning you have to realign and re-setup every time).

2. Location and time setup is already done for you on the laptop if you are using EQMOD and EQDIR there is no need to duplicate entry on the handset.

Best,

Mike

Agreed, but only if the EQMOD fits the Supatrak mount.

FLO sell an HEQ5 and EQ6 version but not a dedicated Supatrak version. Which of the two, if any, will work.

Neither, IIRC.

Laptop -> EQDIR -> HEQ5

Hand controller + Syntrek (same as Supatrak??) = Synscan

May I ask how if a computer will be guiding the mount - I suppose if I think about it it will affect the movements which the scope needs to be told in order to keep the object in view.

If so, can any Alt mounts be guided via a PC?

not sure how EQmod/EQdir helps perhaps Chris can comment...?

EQASCOM (EQMOD) is intended only for the control of Equatorial Mounts (hence the EQ in the name). As things currently stand I somehow doubt there is much chance of working with an alt/az mount

Chris.

No doubt EQMOD can be "made" to work with an Alt-Az mount, but why would you want it to?

If you have your hand controller reflashed for the Alt-Az mount, you can still connect your laptop to control the mount via the handset.

And with an EQDIR you can connect your laptop to the EQ mount directly.

Win all round.

Archived