Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSC mod info

Domis

Has anyone added digital setting circles to a meade LX5 mount or similar?I've been looking at Dave Ek's DIY project but would like to see what others have done before I break out the tools.I googled and searched posts but can't seem to find any info on fork mounts,mostly Dobs.The commercial kits seem to use external hardware for the RA encoder.I'd like to do something a bit cleaner.Thanks.

I did an Ek mod on a LX6 a few years ago.

The main obstacle is suitable threaded adapters to attach the encodershafts to the mount axis's.

For the encoders I used two nylon gears on the RA and a direct attachment to the Dec.

Control was by Palm IIIC.

I only got as far as a working lashup and I don't think it was going to be easy to make the installation look pretty and the cables to the power and Palm tended to catch on the wedge during slews.

As you're in the States I would have thought pre-used JMI or Losmandy systems might be fairly common, would have suitable adapters, and would be an attractive installation.

I never finished mine because I made an opportunistic purchase of an pre-used LX200 GPS mount, which again must be a common item in the States.

If you're into imaging with a guidescope and 3D balance system I would also think about remounting your OTA on a GoTo Equatorial mount.

Cheers

Michael

Thanks for the replies guys.

Michael I have looked at some of JMI's hardware but they seem to all be externally mounted for the RA axis which I want to stay away from.I didn't look for Losmandy kits,I'll do that now and keep an eye out for a used goto mount as you did.I haven't seen many mounts only for sale but that can change pretty quickly.Thanks again for the advice.

I had a 10" Lx6 for many years and fitted the Meade DSC system.

A bit clunky even at that time but it did work very effectively.

Why do you have a concern about an external RA arrangement?

The central shaft on all the SCT forks is stationary, so it's logical to fit a pulley to the end of it and use a timing belt to another suitable gear mounted on an encoder..that's how the Meade system worked.

You could fit a neat cover plate to hide the belts/ gears.

To avoid an external mounting of the RA encoder and gearing you'd have to engineer an internal solution, amd as Merlin says, even Meade couldn't manage that until the LX200 came out.

I forgot to mention that the external solution can make swinging through the forks to point to Polaris imposssible if you have a lot of kit on the rear such as microfocus, flip mirror, imaging camera etc. Not a problem if you have a permanent polar aligned installation of course.

Michael

Thanks again guys,appreciate the insights.I figured the external solution to be by far the easiest way to go ,but I can see some of the drawbacks to that and I also have kids involved in stargazing which is why I've been looking for an internal solution.The kids are why I'm interested in doing this in the first place.I'm hoping it will help to find things a little quicker to help keep their interest.The 7yr old really loves being out at night with the scope but has an early bedtime so I'd like to squeeze some more objects in during the time he has.The 10 yr old likes the hunt more than the veiwing so I'm not really interested in trying to go to full goto.The other 3 are only mildly interested {you find it and their more than happy to take a look}.I can't do a permanent pier here as the property is fully wooded and local restrictions won't allow clearing any trees unless it's for agriculural purposes.Twenty acres of woods is great for hunting ,sucks for astronomy.I I dont' figure out an internal solution I''ll give the external a try,thanks.

Archived