Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

filter sets and filter priority.

Posssibly a light pollution filter might be useful if this is a problem when you're observing. I wouldn't say it's essential and of course they aren't a magic bullet but they can also help pick out a little more detail on planets too. The one I purchased is made by Baader although not the cheapest, it's coatings do allow you to clean it safely without fear of marking the surface. UHC and OIII filters can improve observing of deep sky objects but again isn't essential - just nice to have. If you are going to buy any filters, I would recommend buying the 2" ones that fit on the focuser otherwise you'll have to keep transferring to each individual eyepiece should you need to change magnification. More expensive but makes things (in the dark) a lot easier.

James

Posssibly a light pollution filter might be useful if this is a problem when you're observing. I wouldn't say it's essential and of course they aren't a magic bullet but they can also help pick out a little more detail on planets too. The one I purchased is made by Baader although not the cheapest, it's coatings do allow you to clean it safely without fear of marking the surface. UHC and OIII filters can improve observing of deep sky objects but again isn't essential - just nice to have. If you are going to buy any filters, I would recommend buying the 2" ones that fit on the focuser otherwise you'll have to keep transferring to each individual eyepiece should you need to change magnification. More expensive but makes things (in the dark) a lot easier.

James

Or you just leave them on the diagonal...?

I've got a 1.25" diagonal, and I just leave my moon/fringe killer on there depending on what I'm observing. Therefore I have no need to have a 2" filter, and don't understand why I should.

filters aren't too expensive, get a neutral density filter for the moon, and look at getting a UHC filter to increase the contrast in nebula's.

light pollution filters, like the neodymium ones works for some people, and not for others, if you can get one cheap buy it, see what you think.

realistically filters only work as 'nebula enhancers', not for reducing light pollution.

Archived