Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMod, USB Serial Cables - And Gamepads!

Macavity

Much as an ex "systems guy" eschews the world of PC-gamery [teasing] LOL, I have been messing with EQMod and Gamepads! It seems my Samsung Notebook can happily (and consistently!) talk to an HEQ5 Syntreck via an:

RVO EQMod convertor.

To extend the (USB) cable, I use a "Proliant" 5m ACTIVE USB cable. Hmmm... RVO *used* to sell those...? :)

LESS certain is the GAMEPAD thingie (see above!). FWIW, I have had used a Saitek *wired* Gamepad to control the telescope. Just now, I have pursuaded a "Logic3" PS909 *wireless* Gamepad to do the same. BUT the last seems a bit flakey? It's certainly destined for a PS3 rather than a PC! Just wondering if anyone has discovered a GamePad that works "properly" in this context...

As I had a few XBox360 wireless controllers lying about, I got a cheap knock-off wireless adapter from Ebay. Works nicely and the lack of trailing cables is a boon.

I just have to get over the disappointment that comes every time I press the A button and the scope doesn't launch its heat seaking missiles. :)

I bought a Logitech Rumblepad (2?)) from eBay for a couple of quid. It's wireless and works really well indeed.

Left analogue stick to swirl the mount around, shoulder buttons to change slew rate and rather brilliantly - button 1 on the right moves the mount in a spiral 'search pattern'.

Wireless pads are a joy to use if you're imaging and need to make small adjustments to align stars and need to walk between the scope (finder) and your laptop.

I have to admit I dont like using game pads, as D-Pad responce is terrible on many pads even the £40 360 pads !!!

I have a Custom one on the cards.. there will be photos :)

Or perhaps I should not use my hooves?

I have to admit I dont like using game pads, as D-Pad responce is terrible on many pads even the £40 360 pads !!!

I have a Custom one on the cards.. there will be photos :)

Or perhaps I should not use my hooves?

I presume that you've tried calibrating the game pad via the EQMOD gamepad calibration tool? (It's within the EQMOD control panel).

I have this one: Rumblepad? 2

They go second hand for about a fiver it seems!

Best,

Mike

Wireless pads are a joy to use...
This "Logic3" thingie doesn't seem to want to negoitiate being "player one, two, three..." etc. But works in a basic sense! The "North" button seems to be permanently on(?), but I rapidly found that one can turn off those buttons, in EQMod, and use the (indeed rather fun!) joystick. :D

Archived